Banned Xbox 360 TV ad

Anything to do with games at all.
Sarge

PostBanned Xbox 360 TV ad
by Sarge » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:31 pm

The ad, which was pointed out by The Guardian's Peter Moore interview, was apparently too risky to be broadcast on Television. That's what Microsoft's marketing department said, anyway...

"I showed it one morning to the head of corporate marketing at Microsoft and she said, 'over my dead body will you ever run this spot on TV'. I went ballistic," the ex-Xbox boss told the paper.

"I couldn't get it through Microsoft - one of the greatest videogame commercials ever. I thought it was brilliant. We filmed it in Buenos Aires in a railway station - we loved this idea of play and we came up with this idea of 'Jump In' as a tagline. We wanted to do ads that had nothing to do with videogames, we didn't want to advertise videogames, we wanted to advertise fun.

"It's cops and robbers," he explained, "it's cowboys and Indians, it's what we did as kids! But we never ran it... we didn't need to because it's been seen millions of times on YouTube..."

clicky

:lol: :lol:

Thongings
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Banned Xbox 360 TV ad
by Thongings » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:33 pm

Complete rip-of from Spaced of course. 8-)

Still, it's a great ad. :lol:

The Artist Formerly Known As CrashHornet
Raide
Joined in 2008

by Raide » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:34 pm

I love the guy with the shotgun making the reload noises. :lol:

I can understand why it got band but its just a funny ass video. :D

Poncho
Joined in 2008

by Poncho » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:35 pm

thats a well good addd :D

hideous_enigma
Joined in 2008

by hideous_enigma » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Does Simon Pegg get royalties for that?

KomandaHeck
Joined in 2008

by KomandaHeck » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:42 pm

Very nice. If only there was a 360 live game that supported that many people.

Agent47
Joined in 2008

by Agent47 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:44 pm

Anung Un Rama wrote:This is way old.

Yeah, but it's still funny. :lol:

http://garybaileywriting.wordpress.com/ - A place to read a little flash fiction.
http://theminigamereview.blogspot.com/ - My own personal review space.
http://silentilshortstories.blogspot.com/ - A showcase of short stories I have written.
Madness
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Tom Sawyer

by Madness » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:32 pm

I absolutely love this ad. The bit at the end with the phone = :lol: .

Avon
Joined in 2008

by Avon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:36 pm

Liked the "grenade" moment.. definitely brings back childhood memories.

Jax
Joined in 2008

by Jax » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:44 pm

A lot like my childhood, only when we got shot we never just fell down, we always said stuff like "No, you missed" or "I'm invincible" because we all wanted to play and not be excluded.

Benj
Joined in 2008
AKA: Seifer

by Benj » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Madness wrote:I absolutely love this ad. The bit at the end with the phone = :lol: .

That bit is clearly stolen off Battle Royale. Still loved the ad though, made me laugh! x

Madness
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Tom Sawyer

by Madness » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:58 pm

Recreating this ad at school was ftw. Even if my friends were crap at it. Once someone threw a 'grenade' at me, everyone else stood still, I flung myself backwards.

It was so cool. :mrgreen:

chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

by chalkitdown » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:16 pm

Brerlappins little hat wrote:wut?? im almost 100% sure ive seen that ad on tv.

You have. And so have I. It was all over the tv last year. Maybe it was only shown here in Ireland?

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:19 pm

It's very interesting that despite never being shown on TV's act it's been seen by millions of people, it's actually very good as a viral advert, even if it wasn't intended to be, other companies should take note.

chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

by chalkitdown » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Shadow wrote:It's very interesting that despite never being shown on TV

Wrongfax.

Kanbei
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Kanbei » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Love this advert, it's brilliant :lol:

SchminkyPinky
Joined in 2008

by SchminkyPinky » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:24 pm

I remember this and it is a great advert but as The Shadow says, banning it has probably made it a far more effective advert than airing it on normal television would have.

Moderator Sir Geoff
Joined in 2008

by Moderator Sir Geoff » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:36 pm

They don't even know that you need a gun to shoot. This is a clear example of the sub-humans that Microsoft™ have bred in their facilities. The sub-humans that will put up with purchasing the same console 15 times because of the red ring of death virus. Xbox 360™ owners are afraid, afraid to take a risk and see what the future will bring, they are afraid of the delights of the blue laser optical disc format, in the same way that virgins are afraid of sex. They will not board the PlayStation®3 train to the future, but forget these mere gamers because we, the normal gamers will take the journey and we can look forward to the wonders of dual layered high definition gaming and cell broadband engine architecture.

*Awaiting employment*
Bigerich
Joined in 2008

by Bigerich » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:46 pm

chalkitdown wrote:
Brerlappins little hat wrote:wut?? im almost 100% sure ive seen that ad on tv.

You have. And so have I. It was all over the tv last year. Maybe it was only shown here in Ireland?

It was shown here, too, though only for a short time before it was banned here as well, unsurprisingly.

Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Skarjo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:54 pm

Moderator Sir Geoff wrote:They don't even know that you need a gun to shoot. This is a clear example of the sub-humans that Microsoft™ have bred in their facilities. The sub-humans that will put up with purchasing the same console 15 times because of the red ring of death virus. Xbox 360™ owners are afraid, afraid to take a risk and see what the future will bring, they are afraid of the delights of the blue laser optical disc format, in the same way that virgins are afraid of sex. They will not board the PlayStation®3 train to the future, but forget these mere gamers because we, the normal gamers will take the journey and we can look forward to the wonders of dual layered high definition gaming and cell broadband engine architecture.

:lol:

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...

Return to “Games”