The Poker Thread

Our best bits.
Slayerx
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Poker Thread - GRSOP
by Slayerx » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Anyone going to try satellite for any of the WCOOP tourneys ?

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:18 pm

So, yeah yesterday.

We turned up at The Heroes, our home venue to contest the Southern Inter-League Challenge Cup. Two teams pulled out the very day before, which left us (Waterlooville), Portsmouth, Southampton, Fareham, Gosport, Chichester, Bognor and a Duffs invitaional team. All my team were there ready to play, but some people didnt show, meaning last minte replacements and whatnot.

The first part of the tournament was STTs, with every players position earning points towards their teams final table chipstack. As there were less teams than expected, there was now no walk of shame for any teams, as all wold make the final table. As a result of the last minute team reshuffle, I ended up with a mch softer table then I had originally been lined up with.

Early play saw no-one taking a dominating chip lead, but I managed to accumulate a good number of chips by the first break turning 6k into 8k, but no eliminations. After the break it kicked off, with K-K and then J-J getting me up to 12k and the chip lead. It all looked fantastic, until one ginger player who has knocked me out of an area final before started his usual bot of card-rackery. Firstly he called a raise when I had A-A. A board of 4-6-10 with two hearts saw him call my raise, only for another 10 to hit on the turn. I bet small, and he called, and the final card the 3 hearts completing a potential flush as well. I had to fold. Bah.

After a couple of hands a board of Q-10-4-K-6 left me terminal after he called a big bet on the flop, beating my Q-10 with K-10. I was so annoyed that my chips had left me in 6th out of 6th, with perhaps a 5th possible at best, especially after having the chip lead. But some silly all ins from other players left me and one other playing vying for third against two massive stacks. After a marathon, I finally eliminated her, and in fact miraclos snatched 2nd. It wold have been first, if hadnt been for a cruel A-A < A-K all in which saw two kings roll out on the board for trips. The final hand to put me back at evens heads up was A-8 vs K-4 - only to see a turned 4 end my chances of a captains victory. Still second had been enough to win a good chip bonus for my team. Elsewhere, Mike and Adam had secured wins, whilst Jamie had managed a second as well. We also had a 4th, 5th, 6th and a 7th from star player Mark Barrow, who has recently been on the run of his poker life.

These results put us in second by only 1pt, so we had the second largest chip stack on the final table, 14,000 with starting blinds 100/200.

We were changing players every 25 minutes, and the first for guys Mike, Bob, Leigh and Mark ground our stack up to 28,000, remarkably WITHOUT having called an all-in. At this point we knew we had a chance. It also helped that we had position on our main rivals Portsmouth.

After I had played seventh, a unconfident Dave played his socks off to regain the chip lead with three teams left, Portsmouth, Fareham and Waterlooville. Then up stepped Woody to play for Portsmouth. Bob was due to go in, but instead I made a last minute decision to play Mark, as Woody has been recently knocked out a lot by him. Sure enough aggressive short stack play was snap called by us, with 9-9 dominating an off suit 9-8 with the board offering no help.

We were heads up, with our best heads up player in the seat (I'm the second best ;) ) with 60% of the chips. Some aggresive raises got us up to 70% before the crucial hand.

Mark had raised with K-2 o/s, only to see 'Fish' call the raise. A board of K-5-3 saw 'Fish' bet out big. Quickly, Mark re-raised to 17,000, which left 'Fish' with only the one move. He duly after tanking went all in, and Mark looked at us, and showed us the K-2 and called for 9k more. Losing would have left us down to about 20% and probably dead.

Remarkably, Mark had him pegged, and 'Fish' can only table 5-8 o/s. Turn a 4, and a rivered Jack won us the Southern Challenge Cup sending the team into raptures! Every single player played really well, with players playing better later on if they had a poor first table and vice versa. It was a great day, and we didn't really put a major foot wrong all day!

\o/

It feels SO good to have won something like this, and to have had the respect of my team, and congratulations for having been a great captain, many people suggesting that jamming Mark at the end was a masterstroke.

:wub:

Anyway, heres some pics!

Leigh, Adam, myself, Dave, Jamie, Mark and Bob (Mike had to leave early)

Rex McGee
Joined in 2008

by Rex McGee » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:45 pm

PsychicSykes wrote:lol KK < QQ 50BBs
lol KQ < KJ near the bubble
lol KK run into AA twice

LOL

Do you ever post when you have a good run? :(

Slayer I won't nope. Not overly interested. Let us know if you do though. I am sure Gaz will. He gets through approx 80% of satelites.

DML excellent. It really is a great feeling to do so well in something, especially when you have a team there with you! Well done.

I've been playing HU SNG today to see how I fair. Did a bit of $5 and $10 games. Destroyed. Lost only a couple and got sucked out on massively in both lol. Did a bit of reading and they seem fairly simple to get into. Will continue to play $10 games until August and see how I fair. If it's all easy I might have a crack at $20 games.

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:32 pm

I think I need my title added to the first post....

;)

Slayerx
Joined in 2008

by Slayerx » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Rex McGee wrote:
lol KK run into AA twice

LOL

Slayer I won't nope. Not overly interested. Let us know if you do though. I am sure Gaz will. He gets through approx 80% of satelites.

DML excellent. It really is a great feeling to do so well in something, especially when you have a team there with you! Well done.

I've been playing HU SNG today to see how I fair. Did a bit of $5 and $10 games. Destroyed. Lost only a couple and got sucked out on massively in both lol. Did a bit of reading and they seem fairly simple to get into. Will continue to play $10 games until August and see how I fair. If it's all easy I might have a crack at $20 games.

Not sure yet theres about 22 events so i might try satellite for the ME.

DML
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Poker Thread - DML wins Challenge Cup!
by DML » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:55 pm

THATS BETTER.

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

by Drumstick » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Quiet, Billy Bitchcakes.

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Psychic
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Psychic » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:52 pm

Rex McGee wrote:
lol KK run into AA twice

LOL

I don't know what this is.

Seriously though, I'm playing as well as I can remember, just getting a bit smacked around by the RNG when it gets down to the final 30 or so.

Congrats DML, is there a national thing for you to lead the team into glory in?

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:37 pm

PsychicSykes wrote:
Rex McGee wrote:
lol KK run into AA twice

LOL

I don't know what this is.

Seriously though, I'm playing as well as I can remember, just getting a bit smacked around by the RNG when it gets down to the final 30 or so.

Congrats DML, is there a national thing for you to lead the team into glory in?

Currently no, but I could see that changing. The big bosses of LPPL were at the event, and saw what a hit it was. Fingers crossed.

Psychic
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Psychic » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Well, let's hope they get it sorted so you can extend the wave of DeMoLition across the country.

BTW guys, I've got a joke.

What's it like to lose your entire bankroll?

I'll tell you in a couple of days lol

Slayerx
Joined in 2008

by Slayerx » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:19 pm

PsychicSykes wrote:Well, let's hope they get it sorted so you can extend the wave of DeMoLition across the country.

You crack me up sometimes :wub:

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:21 pm

PsychicSykes wrote:Well, let's hope they get it sorted so you can extend the wave of DeMoLition across the country.

:lol:

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Rex McGee
Joined in 2008

by Rex McGee » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Move down IMO ;)

Anyone fancy sharing a sharkscope sub? I might get one month if I am going to have a crack at HU SNG @ $16 for 150 searches per day. Obv playing HU I will use a max of like 20 of these. If a couple of us chip in just a few dollars you can have access. For most of you $4 is like your average tourney. If you are interested PM. :D

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Just added some decent $4.40/180 strategies which Sykes showed me to the first post. I had a quick look when I was screening them and although most here who play regularly have gone deep before they could be interesting reading.

Image Image Image
Slayerx
Joined in 2008

by Slayerx » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Drumstick wrote:Just added some decent $4.40/180 strategies which Sykes showed me to the first post. I had a quick look when I was screening them and although most here who play regularly have gone deep before they could be interesting reading.

Cheers i'll give them a read.

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:20 pm

Just won my third 4-man heads up game in a row, roll now up to $74.50.

Psychic
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Psychic » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:38 pm

You'll be overtaking me soon or I'll be undertaking you or something I don't know.

lol

Jango
Joined in 2008

by Jango » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:45 am

This online Poker thing is quite addictive and fun.

I really want to play in a tournement but I don't know what to do, all the words and stuff confuse me and I don't want to be enrolling myself in a tournement with rules I don't understand and with too much money at stake. Can anyone help me?

Slayerx
Joined in 2008

by Slayerx » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:02 am

Whats your bankroll ?

Thats the best way to work out what games your able to play.

Rex McGee
Joined in 2008

by Rex McGee » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:55 am

Jango wrote:This online Poker thing is quite addictive and fun.

I really want to play in a tournement but I don't know what to do, all the words and stuff confuse me and I don't want to be enrolling myself in a tournement with rules I don't understand and with too much money at stake. Can anyone help me?

Stick any questions you have in here. We will help. :)

First of all as slayer said you have to play within your bankroll. So if you have $50 say to play poker with it is a bit silly entering a tournament for $30. The likelyhood is you will go bust very fast.

From your post I get the impression you don't know what to play because you don't understand lingo? What site are you playing on? You could start off with an STT (single table tournament) also known as a Sit and Go in most places. You buyin for a set fee and receive chips in return. Usually there are 9 or 6 players (or 2 if you play HU) and the top placers share the money accordingly. If it is a 9 man for instance the top 3 get paid. To get to these in most places just hit the SNG tab and select your buyin. When selecting one I would suggest a 9 man game, can last 30mins to an hour really. I would also watch out for the word turbo anywhere. If it is turbo this means the blinds increase fairly rapidly and far too much luck becomes involved.

If you are looking at MTT you have to consider how long you can reasonably play for. This is why I suggested STT. MTT can last for hours. Nova played well into the early hours (6am?) when he won his 2000 player tournament. So check the number of people entering. Around 100 is an ok number and may last a couple of hours.

There are many different things to look for in a tournament. Firstly the game. I assume you want to play no limit hold em. Make sure you don't jump into an omaha tournament for example! A second thing to look for is the type of tournament. Freezeout means that each player is given a fixed amount of chips. Once these are gone you are OUT. A rebuy means that if you lose all your chips or drop below what you started with you can buyin again for the same amount of chips. The rebuy period usually lasts an hour. I would suggest avoiding these first as well. They may be denoted by R/A (rebuy and add on). Once more terms like turbo may be used indicated a fast structure. Some tournaments are "deep stacked" which means you start with a lot of chips relative to the blind structure. I like these as they allow for a lot of play BUT they will last longer than your average tournament. Turbos are fast but they include more luck as you cannot wait for hands.

Often in the tournament title it might say $5k GTD. This simply means they guarentee a prizepool of 5,000. So if it is a $5 buyins freezeout, there will be at least 1000 runners.

I can't think of much else to say. If you have any questions just ask. I just hope I interpreted your post correctly.

Return to “Archive”