The Poker Thread

Our best bits.
Nova
Joined in 2008

PostRe: ***Official Poker Thread*** HSP back on March 1st !!
by Nova » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:36 am

Continuing to run badly at cash atm, but roll is sat just, just above $1200. Rex, do you have that PDF thingy that laid out some details of how to play 6 max?

Psychic
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Psychic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:37 am

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:39 am

Schweet - thanks :)

Rex McGee
Joined in 2008

by Rex McGee » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:45 pm

satriales wrote:
Rex McGee wrote:Decided to have a bash at these jackpot sit and go tables. Winning is bloody hard but 6 top two places doesn't seem impossible at 6 max tables for a $300 prize.

Busto in my first one though. AK vs AQ all in pre. Q on flop obv.

Assuming everyone at the table was of equal skill (and that my math is correct) then the chance of coming top 2 in 6 consecutive games is 1 in 729. The odds of coming 1st in 6 consecutive games is 1 in 46,656.

Obviously if you can play well then you can expect to reach top 2 more often than that, but I think it's one of those things that sounds much easier to do than it actually is.

Don't think you I already number crunched it? I think the rake increase is small enough to make them viable to play. They are easy to beat and attract more weak players due to the prize. I've had more than 6 top 3 places in a row playing 9 tablers. Someone has to win it and each week they increase the jackpot by 10k.

Also roll £468. Played some MTT and obv ran bad. Money is disappearing at a rate proportional to that at which Nova accumulates it. :(

Slayerx
Joined in 2008

by Slayerx » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Finished 6th in my first LPPL game of the month out of just 10 players./

I actually played really well just got some guy 2nd in chips raise me all-in while i had the chip lead I snap called because he plays any two he flips over Kh 5c and I have Ah Ks anyway he wins that which cripples me leaving me with just over 2k and then I pick up KK and snap call an all-in and lose to A 7.

I made an excellent lay down pre-flop against AA while I had Ac Jc and I also folded QQ against AK after a K hit the flop no hesitation and had both reads confirmed.

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:19 pm

Rex McGee wrote:
satriales wrote:
Rex McGee wrote:Decided to have a bash at these jackpot sit and go tables. Winning is bloody hard but 6 top two places doesn't seem impossible at 6 max tables for a $300 prize.

Busto in my first one though. AK vs AQ all in pre. Q on flop obv.

Assuming everyone at the table was of equal skill (and that my math is correct) then the chance of coming top 2 in 6 consecutive games is 1 in 729. The odds of coming 1st in 6 consecutive games is 1 in 46,656.

Obviously if you can play well then you can expect to reach top 2 more often than that, but I think it's one of those things that sounds much easier to do than it actually is.

Don't think you I already number crunched it? I think the rake increase is small enough to make them viable to play. They are easy to beat and attract more weak players due to the prize. I've had more than 6 top 3 places in a row playing 9 tablers. Someone has to win it and each week they increase the jackpot by 10k.

Also roll £468. Played some MTT and obv ran bad. Money is disappearing at a rate proportional to that at which Nova accumulates it. :(

I've actually been running very badly cash wise, actually :(

What hurt more, though, was just going busto in 52nd in a 5$ tourney. Was amongst the chip leaders for ages but lost several key hands - 77 vs A7, AK vs 66, AK vs QQ, AT vs TT (I had broadway on the board, river counterfeited it) and KJ vs AQ (I had trips on the flop, he runner-runnered a 4 card flush).

No matter how well you play, if you lose all those key hands, the coinflips and the ones you're crushing, you can't FT a tourney like that :cry:

Rex McGee
Joined in 2008

by Rex McGee » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:35 pm

Structure in these jackpot ones make it crappy and give you only a small edge it seems. Blinds rocket waaaay too fast.

Gonna play some cash soon. Roll is still like £470. Not getting anywhere. GRR.

Rex McGee
Joined in 2008

by Rex McGee » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:28 pm

Hmm. Was just watching some high stakes HU and I notice a guy called MCSHANE22 playing 100/200 and sat with 80k. It then occured to me that the guy I referred was called _____ McShane and was Irish. You know the guy who is raking me back like $100+ per month. Surely this isn't him. Half a year ago he was asking me for tips to play $25NL.

Slayerx
Joined in 2008

by Slayerx » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:30 pm

I saw a guy yesterday played .50/1 and he was playing 22 tables at once :shock: :shock:

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

by Drumstick » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:31 pm

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:29 pm

Where do I find these Jackpot tables? Sounds intriguing...

Also, is anyone interested in staking me for a small period? I was making profit at cash, but had to cash out because of yet another changing situation with work/money again!

Rex McGee
Joined in 2008

by Rex McGee » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:41 pm

I'd stake you for some very very low stakes games but I'd need to see like an hour of so of video first and I need to be able to track your profits.

I'd be looking for you to definitely make some profits you know?

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:45 pm

In other news, I've selected my squad for the LPPL Southern League Cup. This gooseberry fool just got real. I don't want my first time as a captain to be a failure!

Rex - I will happily do a video for you, but I have absolutely nothing to play with at the moment! You'd have to tell me how to set up the video stuff though.

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:48 pm

I think I'm going to take out $400 to spend on a TV tomorrow, leaving my roll at $800, but that's good enough to continue at $25NL so that's cool.

Rex McGee
Joined in 2008

by Rex McGee » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:09 am

GL Nova just hope you don't run bad when you do!

Dml what are you wanting to play?

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:40 pm

Well, I was playing cash before Rex, and I was in profit until I had to withdraw, so that would be what I feel most comfortable with at the moment. I was playing 0.05/0.10 if I remember correctly.

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:42 pm

To do a video download Camtasia. The trial is free and pretty much perfect.

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp

Pretty simple once you open it up.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:17 am

Now that my exams are finished I played my 1st tournament in about a month. It was a $4 180man SnG and I came 1st :D

For most of the tournament I was short stacked, and then when it got down to the bubble I was last and very nearly shoved all in with A8 on an 8 high flop. It was lucky I didn't though as one of the other guys had limped in with 75 and flopped a straight.
So when it got down to 18 players I was 18th, and then when it got to the final table I was still quite far behind in 7th.

My bankroll was looking rather grim at just over $240 but that one tourney has almost doubled it and it's now at $460 8-)

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:23 am

Everyone seems to be winning these. Fantastic work.

You going to stick with the SnGs or play cash?

Image Image Image
satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:06 pm

I'm not sure, I want to get good enough to move up the stakes at the cash games but it takes me so long to make even a tiny profit at 10NL. I've always been more of a tournament player so the last month or two at the cash games was a bit of an experiment. I have made money at 10NL but not very much really.

I'm going to uploaded all my Stars tournaments to Pokertracker and see how well I'm actually doing at all the different tournament games. I'll see what that says and then decide where to go next.

Return to “Archive”