Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
KjGarly
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter

PostRe: HDTV Thread.
by KjGarly » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:18 pm

2 weeks on and the best 3D content I've seen so far in order has been..

1 - Resident Evil Afterlife
2 - Avatar
3 - Despicable Me
4 - Tron Legacy
5 - Jackass 3D
6 - Toy Story 3
7 - Gash of the Titans.

Already had 2 software updates, one slightly improved the ghosting on the 3D and had Sony send me out 2 sets of polarized filter lenses for my active shutter glasses which again slightly improved ghosting and I can now move my head side to side without losing the 3D effect.

Overall, extremely happy.

bear
Joined in 2008

by bear » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:22 am

Is there a new range of Panasonics due before Christmas?

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:21 am

bear wrote:Is there a new range of Panasonics due before Christmas?

The links below show everything that's been announced for 2011. I've not read anything that's said new ranges will be coming before Christmas (unless they're ones that have already been announced but then delayed).

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?su ... 1298364717

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?su ... 1297857148

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:46 pm

Not generally no.

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Fallen Phoenix
Joined in 2008

by Fallen Phoenix » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Currently looking around for a new TV atm, price limit is £500ish. Been on a couple of review sites etc and found three that fit the bill nicely but unsure about which is the best. The three are;

Samsung UE40D5520 40 inch LED TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD

Sony BRAVIA KDL40EX50340 inch LCD TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD

SONY BRAVIA KDL40CX523 40 inch LCD TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD

All seem to get fairly good reviews plus are all around the same price. Anyone got any insight which would be the best for general use (TV, Blu-Ray, gaming)?

KjGarly
Joined in 2008

by KjGarly » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Can you not stretch to this?

If your going for a Sony TV, go for one that uses the newer X-Reality Engine rather than Bravia 3 as you do see a really big difference in picture quality and in motion.

Oh and if you look at the specs it says no to 2D/3D conversion when in fact it does. Just go to the 3D menu and turn simulated 3D on while watching 2D content.

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:15 pm

I've been thinking about the possibility of upgrading my TV again now that I have a job. I just checked to see how much the TV I paid £299.99 for about eight months ago is going for these days and it's at £479.99 or £499.99 on eBay... :lol: what the?!

Reckon I'd be able to sell it for a profit and buy a 37" with the money? :shifty:

The model I have at the moment is a KDL32EX403U.

Edit - is it worth waiting until the January sales again in the hope of finding another bargain? Or can you unearth me another gem any day of the year, Glowy? :shifty:

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:27 pm

You can get a 42" pana for £399? :mrgreen:

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:26 pm

I er, strawberry floated my Panny up :fp: :lol:

You know Fallout New Vegas, yeah? Well, I played that, in total, for 100 hours plus. About 50 or 60 of those were on the 42" VT30, with sessions lasting about 3 or 4 hours sometimes much more than that. One evening, after finishing a session of NV, I switched over to Comedy Central to catch an episode of South Park in HD (it was the Mel Gibson episode) and after a while I noticed something in the lower left portion of the screen. At first I thought it was impurities in the animation being shown up by my awesome new telly. I thought nothing more of it. Then the next day while watching another SP ep I spotted it again. Only this time I saw it in more than one scene. I switched over to another channel and it was still there. I then realised what I'd done. Playing all that New Vegas had caused image retention :shock: :cry: :fp:... :lol: I went into the menu and turned on the Scrolling Bar option which removes IR but all it did for me was show the problem was worse than I'd originally thought: there was image retention on the lower right of the screen too. FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUU! I left the scrolling bar feature running for 30 mins and that did *strawberry float all*. :( My heart sank.

PANIC! What the strawberry float am I going to do now? I thought. Can't send it back and blame it on the IR as that isn't deemed as a fault and if it is it's the user's doing and so they wouldn't take it back. And so I did the only thing I could. I lied. When asked what was wrong with it I came up with a *genius* fault. I said it switched itself off and on. Once. Minor fault, only happened the once but what if it happens when it's out of warranty?! I demand a new set! They agreed. :lol: 8-) :phew:

I know it was shitty thing to do but honestly, there's no way I could have lived with the TV as it was. I'd have never been able to un-see the image retention and it would have driven me mad. To make up for it I opted for the 50" VT30 as a replacement so at least they got a bit more money out of me.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/ ... 31mhdd.jpg < see those green bits? That's what was partially burned into my phosphors/whatever the strawberry float. After reading up on image retention (I did know of it before I got my TV but more on that in a bit) and how to "run" a plasma in, I decided with my new set I wouldn't alter the image settings (I had them on Dynamic on the 42" :fp:) and would view the TV using the Normal image setting for the first 200 hours. And no gaming on the set for the first 200 hours either. No viewing films with black borders, and no old TV shows in the 4:3 aspect. Basically the screen has to be filled with a moving image at all times. First 100 hours are out of the way (it's taken about 15 days) and it's been tedious as strawberry float.
I did know of image retention and running a plasma in but foolishly I read on a online Pana document it wasn't necessary. It didn't say IR didn't happen, just that you didn't have to run a plasma in for the first 100 or 200 hours of its life. But being a bit thick I kind of forgot about the IR side of it and suffered the consequences. Had I used the HUD options within the game and lowered the opacity, and maybe changed the colour from bright, toxic green to white I don't think it would have happened... but then if it hadn't have happened I wouldn't have ended up with a 50" in telly! :mrgreen: :lol:

When not watching the TV I'm also using a download from http://www.eaprogramming.com/ to further help run the set in. I opted for the second download (stuck 'em on a USB flashdrive instead of burning to disc).

tl;dr :arrow: Fallout New Vegas caused image retention. Shat my pants. Lied to get replacement. Got a 50" VT30 instead of 42". Am now going to "run in" this new one for 200 hours so the phosphors age together meaning there'll hopefully be less chance of IR occurring in future.

That's not a growth
Joined in 2008

by That's not a growth » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Is this a good deal?

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national ... 234&a=1664

EDIT: Oh, Never mind. Sold out. Oh well. :(

Joer
Joined in 2008

PostHDTV Thread.
by Joer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:46 am

I'm gonna get myself a new TV at the end of the month. I want big with a minimum of 3 HDMI slots. Budget is something like £600 although can go over if needed. Not sure if I want a 3D tele really. I'd only want it for games so not sure if it's worth the investment or if it would-be future proof for when 3d teles become the norm.

If I do get a 3D tele, a slightly OT question, but as the ps3 does 3d games - does it don3d blurays too? No idea how it works.

Sorry for gooseberry fool post, in a rush on phone, and cheers for any recommendations.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.656060,0.078054

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:54 pm

Ars Moriendi wrote:If I do get a 3D tele, a slightly OT question, but as the ps3 does 3d games - does it don3d blurays too? No idea how it works.

Yes.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/50-lg-3 ... ld/1001928

Joer
Joined in 2008

PostHDTV Thread.
by Joer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:06 pm

There's a Best Buy opening near me and they're doing a 43" 3D Plasma TV plus 2 free pairs of passive 3D glasses and Megamind & The Last Airbender.

The tele is a Samsung PS43D490 if anyone has any idea on it? It's £449.99. Worth it?

KjGarly
Joined in 2008

by KjGarly » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Watched Megamind 3D earlier, was really good as was the 3D effect. Is it tied to Samsung or something as I couldn't find the 3D Blu Ray on Amazon.

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:56 am

KjGarly wrote:Watched Megamind 3D earlier, was really good as was the 3D effect. Is it tied to Samsung or something as I couldn't find the 3D Blu Ray on Amazon.

Yup. And there's still one more Dreamworks/Samsung exclusive to come this year.

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:23 pm

glowy69 wrote:You can get a 42" pana for £399? :mrgreen:

Is this the one you're on about? Why the hell is it so cheap? :shock:

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:37 pm

Thats the baby.

We are doing a 42" 3D pana for £599 now too :|

Oh Teh Noes
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mina Murray

by Oh Teh Noes » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:19 am

Maybe you can shed some light on this glowy - how the ever-loving strawberry float do these HDMI cables with built-in ethernet actually work? I was reading the materials about them at work and they made not one iota of sense to me.

Dr Cottle wrote:My favourite flavour of popsicle is DICK.
Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:34 am

I er..dont actually know. :fp:

Ive tried to make sense of it but nobody can explain it to me :(

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:16 pm

PANASONIC Viera TX-L42U3B 42" Full HD LCD TV with freeview hd £699.99 down to £399.99 @ currys

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic- ... &xtor=AL-1

Wouldn't recommend it as a primary set but it's good for what it is.

Return to “Stuff”