The Poker Thread

Our best bits.
Nova
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Poker Thread - Live from Southampton
by Nova » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:06 pm

I've sent out an information message about tomorrow, chaps. If you need my number, PM me tonight pls.

Rex McGee
Joined in 2008

by Rex McGee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:12 pm

3/9 $25 rebuy 6max ijoker if anyone is on.

sniffdonkey

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:14 pm

Gonna suffer the train/coach I think.

Also last night came 2nd in a plo/plhe tournament last night. Not many runners, but a 51 dollar cash nontheless. I overcame two terrible beats so I was overjoyed to overcome them to end 2nd, and I could have won it.

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:20 pm

Good stuff! How did you do Rex?

Also, DML, do you need my number?

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Nova wrote:Good stuff! How did you do Rex?

Also, DML, do you need my number?

Got your number, gonna book in a bit for the train.

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Awesome. This is going to be awesome :)

Remember, any time before 1pm is fine. I would say not much earlier than twelve though, I'll be working in the morning :cry:

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:03 pm

He says there are 32 players and he is waiting on another 14 hopefuls, but I'm a little sceptical, only because of what happened the first time I went and there were only like 15 players.

Apparently Chris had a better experience last time though.

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

by Drumstick » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:20 am

3rd for $600 according to SS.

Regards the tournament. I'm getting the 10:17 train which gets me into Southampton for 11:50, so hopefully I can get to yours just before 1pm as long as I don't get lost. Actually, Gaz, are you going to be going past the train station? If you are, pick me up? :wub:

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:22 am

Drumstick wrote:

3rd for $600 according to SS.

Regards the tournament. I'm getting the 10:17 train which gets me into Southampton for 11:50, so hopefully I can get to yours just before 1pm as long as I don't get lost. Actually, Gaz, are you going to be going past the train station? If you are, pick me up? :wub:

I'll be there for 11:50 as well.

I iz ready.

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:25 am

Right so do you want to meet up when we arrive at the station?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:32 am

Drumstick wrote:Right so do you want to meet up when we arrive at the station?

Can do.

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:37 am

PM'd

Image Image Image
DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:37 am

I just went a booked a train one hour early by accident. JESUS. SUCH AN IDIOT.

satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:59 am

:fp: At least thats better than an hour late.

Drumstick wrote:Regards the tournament. I'm getting the 10:17 train which gets me into Southampton for 11:50, so hopefully I can get to yours just before 1pm as long as I don't get lost. Actually, Gaz, are you going to be going past the train station? If you are, pick me up? :wub:

It looks like the train station is the other side of where I'll be coming in. I was going to leave at 10am and get there for ~midday but I'll leave 15mins earlier and then if i'm there on time and Nova/Luw/DML directs me I can pick you up from the station. Doesn't look very far at all on the map, but I don't know Southampton very well.

All this assumes I don't get lost on the way. :shifty:
Send me a txt or something in the morning anyway so I've got your number again as I lost most of my numbers when my phone broke a few days ago (my number has stayed the same though) and I'll give you a call if I get to southampton by 11:50.

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Don't play Sykes in his Home Games. He rigs them. :x

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jamie1112 [Ks Kh]
jamie1112: raises $0.04 to $0.06
PsychicSykes said, "I'm being hustled"
PsychicSykes: raises $0.11 to $0.17
jamie1112 said, "damn right"
jamie1112: raises $0.31 to $0.48
PsychicSykes: raises $4.52 to $5 and is all-in
jamie1112: calls $1.10 and is all-in
Uncalled bet ($3.42) returned to PsychicSykes
*** FLOP *** [3s 3c 4d]
*** TURN *** [3s 3c 4d] [Qd]
*** RIVER *** [3s 3c 4d Qd] [Ad]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
PsychicSykes: shows [7d Td] (a flush, Ace high)
jamie1112: shows [Ks Kh] (two pair, Kings and Threes)

Luwinski
Joined in 2009

by Luwinski » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:24 am

:lol: :lol:

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Just back now from the meet. After a shower I feel a little less sleepy so will try to do a short write up.

I got into Southampton at about midday and met DML outside the station. We introduced ourselves and chatted away, trading stories of some local tournaments we had played and other random stuff. After a while Gaz and Nova swing by to pick us up and we head back to the house and meet Luw and Red Devil. After that we set off.

We started with 50k in chips with 25 minute blind levels starting at 25/50. As the blinds went up however, the levels got shorter. I was seated to Nova's right which wasn't exactly the best draw in the world but on the other hand I would have a friend to share thoughts with and generally chat away to. A quick summary of our starting table:

Besides myself and Rich there were two bad players, one tight guy (Rob) at the opposite end of the table who seemed pretty good, a really old guy to my right who seemed bad and one young lad who Rich seemed familiar with who was okay I guess.

Due to being 1000BBs deep to begin with I tried to see lots of flops. I called with 75ss and we saw a flop three handed. It came Ts8s5x. I bet out and took it. After that things didn't seem to go my way. I saw a limped flop of Qc5c5x with 65hh. A good flop for me. I check call a bet from Rob and the turn brings the Kc. Again I check call. The river is a fourth club and he puts out a tiny bet. I talked myself into a call and he shows me the nut flush. Some other hands include cold calling three bets with AK and AQx2, however I completely whiff the flops and fold after the two other guys in the pot go crazy. Some time later I picked up JJ in the big blind and made a raise after one of the really bad players who was bantering everyone (let's call him Mush as that's what he was calling everyone) limped the button. Board was all low cards and he folded. I also saw a free flop three handed against the two bad players with KTo. I decided that the best way to play these guys was to just let them hang themselves when I likely had the best of it because they were betting machines. Flop is a dry king high board and I check called a bet from the first bad player (Nathan I think his name was) after Mush folded. Nothing too scary comes on the turn or river and he shows K3o and I take down a small pot which brings me back to around 46k. I also remember playing a hand with Rich when the board was AQ9J5 or something with three hearts and folding A7o to his A4hh.

We go to the first break and talk about our perceptions of the table (mainly how bad two or three of the players are) and catch up with DML, Luw and Gaz). First hand back and Nova deals me KK in the cut off. Blinds are 200/400 I think and Mush limps from EP so I make it 2.5k to go. He calls and the flop comes Tc7c7s. As I said, my plan for this guy was to just let him bet into me and this was a great spot, though it was a pretty scary flop for me because he had been limp calling hands like 67, 97, 87, 89, especially if they are suited cards (he had a bit of the dazzle factor going on basically). All of a sudden he takes the lead in the hand and bets out 4k, I call. The turn is the beautiful 9c and I think he bet 6k. Again I just called, though I know I do not have the Kc in my hand. The river is the 5s and he very quickly bets 10k. I thought for a good couple of minutes and figured that because I had played my hand so weak post flop, I can't fold as he can never give me credit for a pair of kings, and might have thought I had two overs and turned a flush draw which didn't materialise. I called and he showed a nine, with what I believe was the 8c. So I'm now up to ~65k. I continued to think about this hand for a minute or two and ended up being pretty happy with it because I probably got the maximum value from it and maybe then some.

After this hand I was card dead for a long time and because of how deep we were there was no real reason to try and steal and especially against these bad players who were calling pretty light. I got dealt JJ in the big blind and raised Mush who had again limped his button. He called and the flop came 567 with two spades. I checked looking to check-raise and for basically the first time ever he checked behind. The turn came an ace and I tried to represent it, and he flat called. The river was a queen and I checked. I can't remember whether he bet or not but he ended up showing A8cc. Another long run of no cards later and I get QQ in the big blind when it's 600/1200. Nathan limps in from EP and the small blind makes it 5k. I decided to flat not really expecting the first guy to come in, but he did. The flop comes 467 with two spades. The small blind bets 1200 into this pot of 15k. I made it 12k total and Nathan 3bet me to 24k. The small blind folded and I shoved for maybe ~30k more. He quickly called and I really had no idea what he was going to turn over but I was certain he was behind. You know I said these players were bad? He flipped over Q5dd for nothing but a straight draw. I ended up getting a good sweat but held up and more than doubled to 125k.

Rich was still really card dead and meandering around the 35-40k region. I folded small-middle to him in my BB when he had AK twice. After another long time seeing gross hands I saw a free flop in the big blind with A5dd with a new player at the table. I can't remember the exact board but it was something like 9Q47T. We checked the flop and I check called a min bet on the turn (3k by this point) looking to take the pot away on the river. I bet out 11k and he folded. We are down to two tables by this point and I'm still looking pretty healthy with 130k at 2000/4000 but the blind are up every 15 minutes and table action is slow. I did pick up a pair of sixes and flatted a raise to 12k at 3k/6k but then had to folded to an all in from a covering stack.

Eventually at 4k/8k I picked up QQ UTG. I think about what my best play is here. I decided to shove and to try to appear weak to perhaps get a call from a medium ace or pair. It folds to Rob at the end of the table and he tanks for a while. Eventually he calls for maybe two thirds of his stack. Clearly I am ahead considering he looked pretty pained by the decision and I figured he would be flipping over TT, JJ, or maybe AQ. I turn my hand up and everyone at the table is very surprised as they bought my act and he doesn't look too happy. Naturally I expect him to turn over something like TT or maybe even JJ or AQ. Instead he turns over AK and now it's me who isn't very happy as ideally I wanted to be in more dominating shape than 60/40 for the chip lead. Anyway the board comes something like 24AKJ and I am busto.

Last edited by Drumstick on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:44 pm

It was a good game. Starting with 1000BB was a bit misleading though as early on the blinds go up very slowly and so you're very unlkely to double up or increase your stack significantly. Then after five or so hrs the blinds begin to double isntead of small increases and the levels are shorter, so suddenly everyone is short on chips and it becomes a luck-fest.

I didn't get many hands at the start of the game. When blinds were 100/200 UTG limped and then UTG+1 raised to 700, I had QQ in MP and re-raised to 2000. The blinds and UTG all fold and the original raiser decided to re-raise another 10k on top. I reluctantly lay down my QQ as it's not worth risking my whole stack when we are so deep, and the guy shows AK which I am pleased to see as I don't want to stick 50K in on a coinflip and he definitely would have called a re-shove (the very next hand he had AKs and called a KK's all-in, then someone behind had AA and tripled up off the two of them :lol: )

In the second stage of the tournament DML moved to my table and my run good switched into gear. I raised the first three hands after the break and picked up the blinds the first two times (I had AJ and AQ) then on the third time I was UTG with QQ and the BB calls my raise. Flop is 9TJ and we both get it in, he has QJ and so I have him dominated and it holds for the double up.

I then get lots more good hands, make a few sets and slowly build up a decent stack. I then lose half of it with 99 v AA. I had raised first, then a short stack had gone all-in and then another shortish stack had called. I couldn't fold and so I decided to just call and see the flop before deciding whether to put the 2nd short stack in. Flop was 7-high and so I push and they have AA, original shortstack had AT and so AA wins the lots. Another hand I had was AKs and I raiseed to 15k pre and got 2 callers. Flop was 882 which looked safe enough to me so I put in a 20k cbet leaving 20k behind, one of the guys reraises me all-in and I know I'm beat but can't fold. He has TT and I hit an ace to double up.

Luw then joins the table and builds up a nice stack. I slow down a bit as I'm not getting any cards and then the blinds begin to kick in as we near the final table. With 13 left all 5 of us were still in the game so we all played well, but then it got to the point where you had to gamble if you want to reach the cash. I had 80k and was UTG with K2, blinds were 10/20k so I basically only hand one more hand and thus King high was good enough for me to shove, luw called from the BB with 77 but naturally I made 2-pair and crippled him. I finished him off shortly after with 96 beating his A9. :shifty:

Three of us made the final table, but blinds were 20/40k and soon moving up to 30/60k with average stack being less than 200k. I get it in against a short stack with ATs against KQ and he hits 2-pair to leave me with 120k. I have 2BB and so shove with QJ just hoping I'll have live cards if I get called but Nova has AQs and knocks me out in 7th.

It was really good fun but just a little disappointing that after starting with such deep stacks (1000BB!) it ended up as a bingo game when we got down to two tables.

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:04 pm

My match report -

Good at poker, rubbish at bingo.

;)

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:00 pm

Anyone up for some home game?

Edit: We have some three handed action under way!

Image Image Image

Return to “Archive”