The Star Trek Spoilers Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostThe Star Trek Spoilers Thread
by SEP » Thu May 07, 2009 9:47 pm

Oh, look! It's another Star Trek thread by MCN!

So, about that film, then? It was clever how they avoided all the canon disputes by placing it in an alternative timeline, if you ask me. Simply by doing that, they gave themselves freedom to do what they wanted with the story and any future stories (after all, the sequel has already been announced), and the destruction of Vulcan seems like that start of an interesting story arc to me, that could either follow on to the second movie, or the rumoured series.

Anyway, what the strawberry float was going on with the Spock/Uhura romance? That spoiled it a little for me, although it was pretty minor, and only really mentioned in about 3 scenes. I like how it teased you about her first name, though, before just casually dropping it into a scene as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

The scene near the end with young Spock and old Spock, nearly brought a tear to my eye. It was almost like passing the baton to a new generation of Star Trek actors.

Hexx
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Trek Spoilers Thread
by Hexx » Thu May 07, 2009 9:48 pm

It falls apart it you're looking for logical and consistency.

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Thu May 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Hexx wrote:It falls apart it you're looking for logical and consistency.

In what way?

That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Thu May 07, 2009 9:50 pm

they beam the tribbles onto the klingon warship

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Thu May 07, 2009 9:51 pm

MCN wrote:
Hexx wrote:It falls apart it you're looking for logical and consistency.

In what way?

Oh lots.

I cba to go through it all...

Off the top of my head:

"Lightening Storm!" - But the lightening storm was a temporal portal...so why where Vulcan's detecting it 25 years later? Just a plot point needed for Kirk to make the "connection"

Just how far is it from Earth to Vulcan? It took about 20min to get there, and the rest of the film to get back.

Count Nood
Joined in 2008

by Count Nood » Thu May 07, 2009 9:53 pm

Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Yeah, sorry. I went there.

The Eeveelution club!!! \o/
The Alchemist Penguin wrote:I want Tales of Vesperia PS3 now. Especially you loveable Patty. :wub:
SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Thu May 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Hexx wrote:
"Lightening Storm!" - But the lightening storm was a temporal portal...so why where Vulcan's detecting it 25 years later? Just a plot point needed for Kirk to make the "connection"

Just how far is it from Earth to Vulcan? It took about 20min to get there, and the rest of the film to get back.

1) Presumably because Nero had used the weapon more than once, in order to find the right time (after all, one cannot control where a black hole leads, in space or time), and there was a whole load of red matter there.

2) i) If they'd shown the full journey to Vulcan, the film would have been very long and full of people doing mundane gooseberry fool like going to the toilet. They kept it to when the major events were.

ii) At first, Spock warped away to regroup with the rest of the ships. It was Kirk who rescinded that order and turned the ship around after helping Spock relieve himself of duty.

Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Personally I thought they handled the continuity issues rather well. The fact that Spock was very different was a bit jarring at first but I think his character was fairly solid overall and I thought Quinto pulled of the Vulcan look extremely well.

Vermilion wrote:I'd rather live in Luton.
Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Thu May 07, 2009 10:00 pm

MCN wrote:
Hexx wrote:

1) Presumably because Nero had used the weapon more than once, in order to find the right time (after all, one cannot control where a black hole leads, in space or time), and there was a whole load of red matter there.

2) i) If they'd shown the full journey to Vulcan, the film would have been very long and full of people doing mundane gooseberry fool like going to the toilet. They kept it to when the major events were.

ii) At first, Spock warped away to regroup with the rest of the ships. It was Kirk who rescinded that order and turned the ship around after helping Spock relieve himself of duty.

1) It's nothing to do with the weapon. It was the time portal - Nero admitted t hey'd be "waiting" 25 years - they weren't hoping through time :lol:

2) That explains the Enterprise, not Nero.

It's sad to watch "Trekies" switch their brains off to enjoy this 'second coming'

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Thu May 07, 2009 10:01 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:Personally I thought they handled the continuity issues rather well. The fact that Spock was very different was a bit jarring at first but I think his character was fairly solid overall and I thought Quinto pulled of the Vulcan look extremely well.

I thought Karl Urban made a good Bones McCoy, as well. Especially in that early scene in the shuttle, where we find out how he got his nickname.

Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Thu May 07, 2009 10:01 pm

My only minor gripe with the film was the opening music. I know it was super short but it just didn't feel like Star Trek somehow.

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Thu May 07, 2009 10:02 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:My only minor gripe with the film was the opening music. I know it was super short but it just didn't feel like Star Trek somehow.

What about that ending music, though?

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Thu May 07, 2009 10:02 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:Personally I thought they handled the continuity issues rather well. The fact that Spock was very different was a bit jarring at first but I think his character was fairly solid overall and I thought Quinto pulled of the Vulcan look extremely well.

I thought it was odd no one found it odd that Romulans looked like Vulcans /geekmode.

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Thu May 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Hexx wrote:

I thought it was odd no one found it odd that Romulans looked like Vulcans /geekmode.

You mean apart from Spock explaining it?

Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Thu May 07, 2009 10:03 pm

MCN wrote:

I thought Karl Urban made a good Bones McCoy, as well. Especially in that early scene in the shuttle, where we find out how he got his nickname.

That bit was for the fans and I loved it :D . Even though this was a reboot it did have its fan moments which was great I thought.

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Thu May 07, 2009 10:04 pm

MCN wrote:
Hexx wrote:

When was that?

Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Thu May 07, 2009 10:06 pm

MCN wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:My only minor gripe with the film was the opening music. I know it was super short but it just didn't feel like Star Trek somehow.

What about that ending music, though?

I must admit I was desperate for a pee so I had to leave and missed the ending credits :oops: .

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Thu May 07, 2009 10:06 pm

Hexx wrote:
MCN wrote:
Hexx wrote:

When was that?

The scene where Kirk wants to beam over to the Romulan ship. Spock explains that he should go to, as they share the same ancestry, and the cultural similarities may help them.

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Thu May 07, 2009 10:07 pm

MCN wrote:
Hexx wrote:
MCN wrote:
Hexx wrote:

When was that?

The scene where Kirk wants to beam over to the Romulan ship. Spock explains that he should go to, as they share the same ancestry, and the cultural similarities may help them.

Yes - which should have been news to everyone (no one's seen a Romulan!). Except it was ignored :lol:

/geek.

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Thu May 07, 2009 10:09 pm

Hexx wrote:Yes - which should have been news to everyone (no one's seen a Romulan!). Except it was ignored :lol:

/geek.

You're really scraping the barrel now, Hexx. The camera was pointed at Spock's face, so you couldn't see anyone's reactions. Plus, how do we know it was news anyway? For all we know, it could have been common knowledge.

Return to “Stuff”