The PC Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostThe PC Thread
by tomvek » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:00 am

If our Mac brothers can have a thread then so can we :D

This thread is for all things PC whether it be news on the new windows operating system, technical help or just comparing your setups.

I just got a new PC built from scratch thanks to Drizzt. My old computer was a 5 year old, 200MHz AMD, Time machine with 512 Ram, so I felt it was time for a slight upgrade.

My new machine is a modest beast which does everything I need (web, music, photoshop) built for about £150. The specs are below with a specially added easter egg drizzt put in for me which I thought was cool :D

I've got another 2 gig of DDR2 memory coming this week and a second Seagate 250 gig hard drive to follow which will give me 500 GB of storage overall.

So what's everyone else running?

Last edited by tomvek on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 9 times in total.
smurphy
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child

PostRe: The PC Thread
by smurphy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:36 am

Assuming you have a decent video card you could play most games on that, for £150. If not, £50 and you're running Crysis on mid. Insane.

1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by 1cmanny1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:14 am

is it better, to buy a dell,etc.... pc, thats already made up? like a model?

or doesnt it matter if we go to a place and say put that and this in?

Fatal Exception
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover

by Fatal Exception » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:20 am

1cmanny1 wrote:is it better, to buy a dell,etc.... pc, thats already made up? like a model?

or doesnt it matter if we go to a place and say put that and this in?

wat. On Dell's site you can specify what you want in your PC.

A store bought PC has the advantage of being easier and having the whole PC guaranteed as a whole rather than the components.

A home built PC has the advantage of getting a lot more for your money. The downside is you have to deal with it if anything is wrong.

I'll post my rig tonight.

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Steve
Joined in 2008

by Steve » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:24 am

Fatal Exception
Joined in 2008

by Fatal Exception » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:25 am

I downloaded it last night :shifty:

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Steve
Joined in 2008

by Steve » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:59 am

Brerlappins little hat wrote:

Downloaded it last week :lol:

RC1?

Fatal Exception
Joined in 2008

by Fatal Exception » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:02 am

I already had a rapidshit account 8-)

Although one thing that grinds my gears is multi part rars within multi part rars :x Less so now I have a massive hard disk and a fast PC, but it still wastes seconds.

Caped Chameleon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Caped Chameleon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:13 am

Is there much of a noticeable difference between RC1 and say Beta Version 7000? Just wondering if it was worth the effort to track down and update. Still valid to March 2010 then I take it?

akijones
Joined in 2008

by akijones » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:21 am

Yeh PC thread 8-) , Just built a new PC on a very tight budget with some old bits as well so its not great but it will do;
AMD Athlon X2 7750 2.7GHZ Black Edition (going well cheap at work)
ASUS M3N78 PRO GeForce 8300 Socket AM2+
4GB Corsair DDR 2 800 Ram
Antec 300 Case
Coolmaster 550/600w (cant remember) Modular PSU
Geforce 8800GT
74GB Raptor HDD
320GB WD Caviar SATA II
Samsung DVD-RW DL
Plays everything I need it too, im currently running a small computer repair/manufacturing shop which has been thrown at me in work as the other guy is unreliable fun fun.

Image Image
bigcheez2k3
Joined in 2008

by bigcheez2k3 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:31 am

What are the raptor HDD's like?

Preezy wrote:She's the hottest thing to come out of the Ukraine since the Chernobyl fallout cloud :shifty:

I didded a youtube thing Clicky!
akijones
Joined in 2008

by akijones » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:43 am

bigcheez2k3 wrote:What are the raptor HDD's like?

Fast, very fast but well strawberry floating noisey, I may have to take it out eventually as my PC is in the living room and it drives the misses nuts when im on it.
Question for you guys, as I am doing the new price list for the computer shop what specs would be looking for a basic Home PC (No Graphics Card etc)/ Office Machine?

Image Image
bigcheez2k3
Joined in 2008

by bigcheez2k3 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:46 am

I'd say something with onboard graphics, a 2Ghz Dual Core, 500GB HDD, LiteScribe DVD Burner, 2GB RAM.

I'd say that's more than enough for most people.

I think I forgot something though.

Preezy wrote:She's the hottest thing to come out of the Ukraine since the Chernobyl fallout cloud :shifty:

bigcheez2k3
Joined in 2008

by bigcheez2k3 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:48 am

akijones wrote:
bigcheez2k3 wrote:What are the raptor HDD's like?

Fast, very fast but well strawberry floating noisey, I may have to take it out eventually as my PC is in the living room and it drives the misses nuts when im on it.
Question for you guys, as I am doing the new price list for the computer shop what specs would be looking for a basic Home PC (No Graphics Card etc)/ Office Machine?

Can you hear the fans in your PC?

Mine is pretty noisy already so I don't know if a Raptor would really add to it.

akijones
Joined in 2008

by akijones » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:57 am

Iv got a 140mm Fan and a 120mm Fan and I cant really hear them as they are quiet ones anyway, the noise doesnt bother me really as long as you have music or a game running then its fine, might be annoying if your doing coursework or something in silence.
Im not sure if the new Velociraptor HDDs will be quieter as I havent had any in work yet but they are way overpriced.
I

Image Image
tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by tomvek » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:51 pm

smurphy wrote:Assuming you have a decent video card you could play most games on that, for £150. If not, £50 and you're running Crysis on mid. Insane.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (256 MB) which is actually the first graphics card I've ever owned (old system had virtual graphics :fp:). Tried out the Bioshock demo and it ran pretty smoothly though I'm not sure if it's capable of Crysis. Now that I can run things, I might start getting a few more PC games.

degoose
Joined in 2008

by degoose » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:58 pm

Brerlappins little hat wrote:I havent noticed much of a difference to be honest, but its worth upgrading to for the fact that it doesnt expire til next march, whereas 7000 expires in september

wow sounds great had no idea that it expired next year. im guessing thats about the time the full version will be released

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega"
Steam:degoose, Xbox:degoose v2 , PSN:degoose, Switch: 0760-2133-6729
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:34 pm

http://technet.microsoft.com/nb-no/eval ... 3205(en-us).aspx

Original windows 7 cd keys still available there so you don't have to use a crack or anything till later.

Also big difference between Windows 7 32bit 7000 versus Windows 7 64bit 7057 in terms of both performance and stability. That's from my personal experience.

Edit: Don't click the link, copy and paste it in your browser, the whole thing.

Last edited by $ilva $hadow on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edit signature
Your signature will appear like this in posts
Extralife
Joined in 2008

by Extralife » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm sort of hoping it gets a release sooner rather than later since I'm intending to buy a new PC soonish and would rather it came with 7.

Wii Friend Code: 4367 2078 8771 6102
infected
Joined in 2008

by infected » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:46 pm

Extralife wrote:I'm sort of hoping it gets a release sooner rather than later since I'm intending to buy a new PC soonish and would rather it came with 7.

Same here. My folks have Vista on their PC and it is utter cack, to put it blunt.

Return to “Stuff”