The Money Thread - Public Bank ownership expands (RBS@70%)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Hexx
Joined in 2008

PostThe Money Thread - Public Bank ownership expands (RBS@70%)
by Hexx » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:23 pm

We're all strawberry floated.

Discussed?

Last edited by Hexx on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 31 times in total.
Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread
by Mockmaster » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Invest in gold. That's my advice.

Ecno
Joined in 2008

by Ecno » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Mockmaster wrote:Invest in gold. That's my advice.

No Morrison's and Tescos.

Donate to the Ukrainian Military's fight against fascism.

https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/natsion ... ebi-armiyi

Contact your MP to voice support for Ukraine
abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

by abcd » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:27 pm

That's better.

Crisis over.

Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Eighthours » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:33 pm

*Hums the theme tune to Apprentice USA*

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:33 pm

As a habitual saver, I'm not strawberry floated in the slightest.

Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

by Mockmaster » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:As a habitual saver, I'm not strawberry floated in the slightest.

You're not strawberry floated in the slightest if the world faces a huge economic downturn?

What about the ramifications?

Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Eighthours » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:35 pm

Mockmaster wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:As a habitual saver, I'm not strawberry floated in the slightest.

You're not strawberry floated in the slightest if the world faces a huge economic downturn?

Alvin still thinks Sonic might be alright. He's a dreamer.

Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:37 pm

As long as they dont invent an absolute cure for insanity. My job is safe.

Drunken_Master
Joined in 2008

by Drunken_Master » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:37 pm

Mockmaster wrote:

What about the ramifications?

Just wait until he has to go out in the real world, and work and buy a house!

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:
Ecno
Joined in 2008

by Ecno » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:As a habitual saver, I'm not ****** in the slightest.

It's called the paradox of thrift.

Donate to the Ukrainian Military's fight against fascism.

https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/natsion ... ebi-armiyi

Contact your MP to voice support for Ukraine
JiggerJay
Joined in 2008

by JiggerJay » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Since finishing uni quite a few months ago, i have been looking for a job non stop, my degree seems worthless now!

Money wise i am not too worried as of current, as i live at home, rent free, aand my dad and the government pay my way until i get some work done!

its going to be a bitch to get on the housing ladder though.

Skarjo wrote:You can buy all the fancy houses you want, we still remember you in a bath covered in ketchup for a free copy of CSI.

Instagram Twitter
Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

by Mockmaster » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Luckily (from my career perspective) the games industry is pretty safe, touch wood. People stay in more and rely on staple home entertainments such as games, movies and take away pizza during economic downturns 8-)

At least, I hope they do :(

JiggerJay
Joined in 2008

by JiggerJay » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:44 pm

Mockmaster wrote:Luckily (from my career perspective) the games industry is pretty safe, touch wood. People stay in more and rely on staple home entertainments such as games, movies and take away pizza during economic downturns 8-)

Unless you work with EA, the games industry is never safe mate, it hasn't impacted so much yet, but it will do, and you will see a few little devs that EA haven't bought up go broke.

Skarjo wrote:You can buy all the fancy houses you want, we still remember you in a bath covered in ketchup for a free copy of CSI.

Instagram Twitter

by 7256930752 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:47 pm

As long as the world still needs electricity I'll be ok.

Oh and before someone comes in with a fossil fuel related come back I have just got into building wind farms. :D

Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

by Mockmaster » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:48 pm

JiggerJay wrote:
Mockmaster wrote:Luckily (from my career perspective) the games industry is pretty safe, touch wood. People stay in more and rely on staple home entertainments such as games, movies and take away pizza during economic downturns 8-)

Unless you work with EA, the games industry is never safe mate, it hasn't impacted so much yet, but it will do, and you will see a few little devs that EA haven't bought up go broke.

I'm under no illusions. I've been doing it for nearly 5 years now, I've seen companies go under, I even worked for one that did. I know how unstable it can be. But hopefully the industry in general, it should stay afloat during the hard times ahead.

JiggerJay
Joined in 2008

by JiggerJay » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:51 pm

Mockmaster wrote:
JiggerJay wrote:

I'm under no illusions. I've been doing it for nearly 5 years now, I've seen companies go under, I even worked for one that did. I know how unstable it can be. But hopefully the industry in general, it should stay afloat during the hard times ahead.

It obviously depends on your sector or company, and how they handle their reserves and invest in their assets.

it wasn't long ago when we all thought take two was going under.

Instagram Twitter
Cal
Joined in 2008

by Cal » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:52 pm

JiggerJay wrote:

Too true. Have you read the feature in this months GamesTM about the state of the games industry and just what it actually means to work there? It'll shatter any illusions you might have that it's in any way a 'good' place to work - unless you've been through at least two redundancies, you're not even considered a 'true' developer...

Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Octoroc » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:54 pm

It's very easy for large companies to close a studio overnight. No job security there.

I know this to be true. EA Warrington for example and look what happened to Swordfish recently.

At times I really miss being a games programmer, but more often I thank f#ck that I have a relatively stress-free 9-5 job.

There's always XNA - games programming for fun, like it used to be at Uni...

games programming for fun... God I'm such a geek. :fp:

So far this year, I have eaten NO mince pies.
Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

by Mockmaster » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Cal wrote:Too true. Have you read the feature in this months GamesTM about the state of the games industry and just what it actually means to work there? It'll shatter any illusions you might have that it's in any way a 'good' place to work - unless you've been through at least two redundancies, you're not even considered a 'true' developer...

Oh the anecdotes I could relate about some truly shocking business practices I've witnessed. The games industry has yet to grow up.

Return to “Stuff”