Generation Kill

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Dual
Joined in 2008

PostGeneration Kill
by Dual » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Generation Kill is a 2008 HBO television miniseries based on the book of the same name by Evan Wright, and adapted for television by David Simon, Ed Burns, and Wright. The series premiered on July 13, 2008 and spanned seven episodes. It is produced by Simon, Burns, Nina K. Noble, Andrea Calderwood, George Faber, and Charles Pattinson.

Official Site.

IMDB

Dual
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Generation Kill
by Dual » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Started watching this last night. It's pretty much essential viewing if you enjoyed The Wire.

Ziggy's in it! :o

Anyone else watching it?

Red Devil
Joined in 2008

by Red Devil » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Yeah I watched it last week. Brilliant series. Just a shame it was so short.

BobbyDigital
Joined in 2008
AKA: RZA

by BobbyDigital » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:10 pm

Yo I just watched all this last week mayne, pure crack.

Falsey wrote:He got me in the woods, on a road and most memorably, on a canal boat.
Dual
Joined in 2008

by Dual » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:14 pm

First episode seemed to go on for ages. It was a long hour compared to The Wire where everything seems to move relatively quickly.

Fargo
Joined in 2008

by Fargo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:37 pm

Gonna pick this up in the run up to Christmas, really enjoyed the book so looking forward to seeing how it translated. How much does it go for in the likes of hmv ?

Red Devil
Joined in 2008

by Red Devil » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Fargo wrote:Gonna pick this up in the run up to Christmas, really enjoyed the book so looking forward to seeing how it translated. How much does it go for in the likes of hmv ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generation-Kill ... 099&sr=8-1

Fargo
Joined in 2008

by Fargo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:54 pm

Red Devil wrote:
Fargo wrote:Gonna pick this up in the run up to Christmas, really enjoyed the book so looking forward to seeing how it translated. How much does it go for in the likes of hmv ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generation-Kill ... 099&sr=8-1

Cheaper than I thought. Cheers

Trinity
Joined in 2009
AKA: Mommy

by Trinity » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:57 pm

Saw it when it came out. Good series but no Band of Brothers.

Hurt locker is worth a watch too.

ImageImage
Ginga
Joined in 2008

by Ginga » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:13 pm

Dual wrote:First episode seemed to go on for ages. It was a long hour compared to The Wire where everything seems to move relatively quickly.

:shock: Really? Every time I watched The Wire it felt like a strawberry floatin' eternity.

I really love this :wub: I'm now on episode 4...

Is it out on blu-ray in the UK yet? The imports seem really expensive.

smurphy
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child

by smurphy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:34 pm

The episodes are about an hour and half, which is probably why it seems longer than The Wire.

So far this is brilliant. I strawberry floating love the guy with the blonde hair who also plays Eric in True Blood.

Floex
Joined in 2008

by Floex » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:29 pm

Used the links page and found this topic :wub: Just downloading the first few episodes now

~Earl Grey~
Joined in 2008

by ~Earl Grey~ » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Dual wrote:First episode seemed to go on for ages. It was a long hour compared to The Wire where everything seems to move relatively quickly.

The Wire relatively quick?

Then we must be talking one seriously slow-ass mummy strawberry floater of a show....

Dual
Joined in 2008

by Dual » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:45 pm

MW2 has spurred me to watch ep2.

Floex
Joined in 2008

by Floex » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:31 pm

~Earl Grey~ wrote:

Then we must be talking one seriously slow-ass mummy strawberry floater of a show....

I was going to say. The Wire is perhaps the hardest show to get into but once it does :wub:

JK
Joined in 2008

by JK » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:36 pm

I watched the first few episodes of this on Channel 4, but I've not really been drawn in like I was with The Wire. I realise it's the nature of making a programme about the Iraq war, but everything is very samey - everybody is wearing the same uniform, the environment is uniformly sandy etc. I'm just finding it hard to keep up with what's going on (which is probably due to the fact that for once the producers don't underestimate the viewer's intelligence).

SandyCoin
Joined in 2008

by SandyCoin » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:58 pm

Finished watching this the other week and really liked it. It wasn't all big battles and over the top stuff which was quite a surprise to me as I knew nothing about it. I'm not sure why people are talking about this compared to The Wire though :? . Or is it just because it's HBO and has Ziggy in it? Anyway, great little series I thought. Not as good as Band of Brothers but still highly recommended. As glorious as Band of Brothers was, I found it hard knowing the characters. You didn't really learn a lot about them, but in Generation Kill I think you find out quite a lot, which was good.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:16 pm

Sandycoin wrote:I'm not sure why people are talking about this compared to The Wire though :? . Or is it just because it's HBO and has Ziggy in it?

It is because it is created by the same people that created The Wire.

Dual
Joined in 2008

by Dual » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:54 pm

~Earl Grey~ wrote:

I think my problem lies in the fact that The Wire has 50+ episodes for you to get used to the complicated police terminology and acronyms, all the characters and places etc Generation Kill however is only 7 episodes long and is just as in depth as The Wire so it can be a bit of a chore keeping up with what's going on.

Abs
Joined in 2008

by Abs » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:05 pm

Yeah I watched this a while ago, it's well adictive, great program.

lex-man wrote:I still smoke I thinks its good to smoke late at night, the fire in my hand mirrors the fire in my mind.

Return to “Stuff”