GRcade Tasks of the Week: Week 4 - New players STILL welcome

Our best bits.
Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

PostGRcade Tasks of the Week: Week 4 - New players STILL welcome
by Mockmaster » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:26 pm

Welcome to Week 4, Task Adventurers!

Hello and welcome back for the next weekly instalment of Tasks of the Week. I'd just like to say it's been alot of fun seeing everyone attempt these tasks so far. The last 3 weeks have been jam-packed with memorable experiences and I hope the trend continues this week.

If you are new to 'Tasks of the Week', this is the kind of thing you can either dip in and out of at your leisure, or contest seriously to take the ultimate title of TASK MASTER.

The low-down: Each week, I set a series of tasks. These tasks are not supposed to be chores. They are supposed to be positive, motivational experiences. Things that spice life up a little. Some are incredibly simple, others require more of a challenge. All, I hope, make a normal day a little less normal and make life a bit interesting.

I will be running this for 10 weeks, at the end of which I will award the winner (the person who scores the most points) an awesome prize, along with the sought after title of TASK MASTER. But the real prize is the satisfaction of achieving these tasks and the experiences you have in the process of doing so.

The 6 tasks comprise of:

- 2 Easy Tasks (1 point each)

- 2 Medium Tasks (3 points each)

- 2 Hard Tasks (5 points each)

2 bonus points for completing all 6 tasks.

Various extra bonus points for certain tasks.

Week 3 League Table:

Week 4 Tasks

Easy (1 point each)

Lord of the Desktop

For 5 of the next 7 days, you must set a brand Wallpaper to your desktop. There must be some kind of theme running through the 5 wallpapers, of your choosing, e.g. you may choose to have a wallpaper of a different car each day, or perhaps of 5 different serial killers. Maybe the theme you choose will be a bit more abstract/thoughtful than that. Visual evidence required.

Wordsmith

We take the language we use for granted at times. Words used to be forged over time, evolving across various dialects and cultures. These days, 'da kidz' make up trendy words at a whim and leave people scratching their heads when they use them amongst themselves. For this task, you must make up a brand new word that has real a meaning attached to it. Make up a dictionary entry for it… and you must use this word in conversation with 3 different people, at least 1 of which must be with a person in real life. Casually drop it into a sentence. They may not even notice you have used a word that doesn't actually exist. Or they may call you out on it.

Medium (3 points each)

Neurological Reprogramming

Life was so much more of a challenge when you were young, wasn’t it? Learning how to read….. how to write….. how to tie your shoelaces. These little challenges are lost with age as the movements become so practised as to become almost autonomous. An amazing reflection of the human brain’s ability to learn but sadly, once a task is learnt, there is no longer the need for the brain to develop in the same way once these practises become embedded as procedures of action. For this task, you are going to kick-start those cognitive faculties into life, forcing your brain to work and adapt by starting the learning from scratch.

To pass, you need to learn how to perform a task with your left hand that you currently habitually do with your right (or vice versa if you are left handed). Writing perhaps? Cleaning teeth? Using your mouse? Eating (swapping utensil-hands)?

I’m hoping no-one here is ambidextrous. PM me if this is the case.

Family Crest

I would like you to design a crest. A crest to represent you. Similar to how families have special family crests made and passed on down the generations, I'd like you to forge one out of some kind of inspiration or interests from your life. You can produce this Crest using anything from MS Paint to a real life drawing. Visual evidence required.

Here is an example for inspiration, the Weems Family Crest:

The Weems clearly have an affinity with Swans.

Hard (5 points each)

Pizzeria

This task will test your culinary skills. Make a pizza. You will need a plain pizza base, which can be bought at a local supermarket for £1.50. You will also likely need tomato paste and cheese. The rest is up to you. Let your imagination run wild as to what you top the pizza with. Let us know how it tastes etc.

Bonus: Visual evidence not required for this but I will award 1 bonus point if you provide a picture of your creation.

Fleet of Foot

To pass this task, you must perform some Parkour along a route of your choosing. Indoors or outdoors, you must give yourself a start point and a finish point and get from one to the other traversing obstacles, walls etc on the way. If you don't know what Parkour is, read this:

Parkour (sometimes also abbreviated to PK) or l'art du déplacement [1] (English: the art of moving) is a physical discipline of French origin in which participants run along a route, attempting to negotiate obstacles in the most efficient way possible, as if moving in an emergency situation, using skills such as jumping and climbing, or the more specific parkour moves. The obstacles can be anything in one's environment, but parkour is often seen practiced in urban areas because of many suitable public structures that are accessible to most people, such as buildings and rails.

Think Mirror's Edge.

Bonus: Visual evidence not required for this but I will award 1 bonus point for a picture of the attempt or a massive 3 bonus points for a video (it's one or the other).

Here is a video of someone performing Parkour to give you an idea of how to approach the task:

I hope you enjoy this week's selection. Cheers.

The deadline for all Task Completions is 9pm next Sunday - the 4th of October.

Last edited by Mockmaster on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Tasks of the Week: Week 4 - New players STILL welcome
by Cuttooth » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:31 pm

Oh hell yeah, I make my own pizza bread from scratch all the time, that's going to be five easy points. 8-)

Banjo
Joined in 2008

by Banjo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Holy gooseberry fool, the Parkour one is going to kill me. :lol:

Does switching my wank hand to the left count? :shifty:

_wheredoigonow_
Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

by Mockmaster » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:33 pm

Banjo wrote:Does switching my wank hand to the left count? :shifty:

Yes, that would be acceptable. Any task you usually perform with one hand.

The People's ElboReformat
Joined in 2008
AKA: Goat, Zenigame

by The People's ElboReformat » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:33 pm

Interesting.

For this make a word up task, can it be a word you've previously made up?

The Eeveelution club! \o/
bigcheez2k3
Joined in 2008

by bigcheez2k3 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:34 pm

I should have 24 points, Mocky, not 19.

Preezy wrote:She's the hottest thing to come out of the Ukraine since the Chernobyl fallout cloud :shifty:

I didded a youtube thing Clicky!
Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

by Mockmaster » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Zenigame wrote:Interesting.

It depends. I'll let you use your judgement. If it's a word you've never really used much before, especially in real life, then that would probably be acceptable. But if you've used it widely, I'll say no.

Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

by Mockmaster » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:36 pm

bigcheez2k3 wrote:I should have 24 points, Mocky, not 19.

Oops my bad. I shall correct asap.

thousand yard stare
Joined in 2008

by thousand yard stare » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:38 pm

To make up for my shameful lack of effort last week, I'll try to give this a go - always wanted to do parkour, it looks amazing and I love Mirror's Edge, but the UK equivalent of it seems to be chavvy kids hanging around the supermarket, jumping off bollards and making elderly people feel nervous. So that's what I'll do!

The word task is great, most of the time my mates don't know what I'm going on about anyway so throwing in a few made up words shouldn't phase 'em...

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Epic tasks this week Mocky :lol:

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:41 pm

Dowbocop wrote:Epic tasks this week Mocky :lol:

You're going to have to pull out all the stops to go above Banj.

Count Nood
Joined in 2008

by Count Nood » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:43 pm

I'll try some this week. :shifty:

The Eeveelution club!!! \o/
The Alchemist Penguin wrote:I want Tales of Vesperia PS3 now. Especially you loveable Patty. :wub:
Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

by Mockmaster » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Charles Carmichael wrote:I'll try some this week. :shifty:

:x

The People's ElboReformat
Joined in 2008
AKA: Goat, Zenigame

by The People's ElboReformat » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Taskmaster wrote:
Zenigame wrote:Interesting.

It depends. I'll let you use your judgement. If it's a word you've never really used much before, especially in real life, then that would probably be acceptable. But if you've used it widely, I'll say no.

Hmm, I rarely use the word I was thinking about in real life conversation.

Think I'll just think of a new one though anyway.

I just had a gooseberry fool and attempted to wipe using my left hand (holding the bog roll in that hand, not actually wiping with my bare hand), I couldn't quite work out the correct angles or technique needed. May work on that, or find something else to attempt instead.

The Eeveelution club! \o/
thousand yard stare
Joined in 2008

by thousand yard stare » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:01 pm

I've got one for the word thing already - Manguish. Literally, a manly form of grief, where you react to unpleasant news in a dignified and stoic fashion. 'Sorry to hear about that business with your wife and the pub football team, Brian.' 'Aye, she broke my heart. D'you know, I've even stopped going in there now. On match days. Except during happy hour.' Manguish. A third of a point in the bag already!

Irene Demova
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

by Irene Demova » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:06 pm

I've got the desktop task nailed already :lol:

EDIT: I though wank hand straight away too :lol:

Last edited by Irene Demova on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banjo
Joined in 2008

by Banjo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Irene Demova wrote:I've got the desktop task nailed already :lol:

Zooey?

_wheredoigonow_
Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:07 pm

Not sure if I'll just concentrate on getting Greed done. Might try and do 2 deadly sins/week if possible, Mocky!

bigcheez2k3
Joined in 2008

by bigcheez2k3 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:08 pm

Looks like I'll have to invest the help of a friend for the parkour one.

Preezy wrote:She's the hottest thing to come out of the Ukraine since the Chernobyl fallout cloud :shifty:

I didded a youtube thing Clicky!
Irene Demova
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

by Irene Demova » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:08 pm

Banjo wrote:
Irene Demova wrote:I've got the desktop task nailed already :lol:

Zooey?

Yep, this may become related to the left hand task soon :shifty:

Return to “Archive”