The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown- 15th September.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Hulohot
Joined in 2008
AKA: dan_e1990

PostThe Lost Symbol by Dan Brown- 15th September.
by Hulohot » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:23 pm

http://www.thelostsymbol.com/

Dan Brown's (Digital Fortress, Deception Point) eagerly anticipated new novel, The Lost Symbol, is the third to feature Harvard University symbologist Robert Langdon, following 2000's Angels & Demons and 2003's The Da Vinci Code. The best-selling author is an international phenomenon with over 81 million copies currently in print and is published in 51 languages around the globe. If Hollywood sources are to be believed, The Lost Symbol is all set to be turned into a blockbuster movie, just like Ron Howard's (A Beautiful Mind) adaptations of The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons starring Tom Hanks (Forest Gump) as the intrepid hero Robert Langdon. Keep your eye out for a possible 2012 release date!

Although little is known at present, The Lost Symbol's story takes place over a 12-hour period, and from the first page, Dan's readers will no doubt feel the thrill of discovery as they follow Robert Langdon through a masterful and unexpected new landscape into the mysterious world of freemasonry in Washington, D.C.

What you should expect is a brilliant compelling page-turner of a thriller, the likes of which only Dan Brown could write. The Lost Symbol will undoubtedly highlight Brown's prodigious talent for storytelling, infused with history, codes and intrigue more than ever before. We'll tell you more as and when we can!

Who here is going to get it? I have it on pre-order. The release coincides with the DVD release of Angels & Demons.

However I'm fully expecting The Lost Symbol to suck majorly. Why? Because Angels was the pinnacle of Dan Brown's work, and he just simply cannot reuse the same formula again (Which I feel he will), it would be a joke. Riding on the success of Da Vinci, I can't see this being much different. Plus there is (more than likely) no way he could ever create a story as epic as Angels was.

Thoughts?

Kanbei
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown- 15th September.
by Kanbei » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:24 pm

Entertaining rubbish is what it'll be :D

Donk
Joined in 2009
AKA: Donk

by Donk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:37 pm

Thousands of people will contribute to the decline of literature on that date. :fp:

Xeno
Joined in 2008

by Xeno » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:47 pm

They let this guy write another book? :fp:

Falsey wrote:
Xeno wrote:Chewing takes effort. What he needs is Emma Watson to chew his food then transfer it to him for him to swallow.

I dont know why, but that sounds strawberry floating incredible.

Wuijibobo wrote:You're a funny man Xeno. I like you... That's why I'm going to kill you last.
jiggles
Joined in 2008

by jiggles » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:13 pm

Why put the two books nobody's read in the "famous from" brackets in the opening sentence? :lol:

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Donk wrote:Thousands of people will contribute to the decline of literature on that date. :fp:

I didn't realise that from one sentence I could so confidently form an opinion of someone being a total haughty wanker.

Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008

by Poser » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:44 pm

Donk wrote:Thousands of people will contribute to the decline of literature on that date. :fp:

Hardly. It's just pulp, isn't it? Engaging stories told in an entertaining way to appeal to the mass-market. The equivalent of a summer blockbuster: harmless and enjoyable, yet sneered at by those with their heads up their arses.

For what it's worth, Shakespeare was seen at the time as being too lowbrow, bawdy and populist to be truly considered great. His contemporaries such as Marlowe and Jonson were more widely admir'd because they had Uni educations (at least, I think Ben Jonson did).

That said, I'll probably wait for the paperback...

Donk
Joined in 2009

by Donk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:47 pm

Mind Crime wrote:

I didn't realise that from one sentence I could so confidently form an opinion of someone being a total haughty ******.

Chapter 1)

What, because someone doesn't like their books to....

Chapter 2)

...have Chapters this short?

Chapter 3)

Not to mention the rather lame "OMG RELIGION SUCKS LOL" and the utter inability to understand technology by the author?

Donk
Joined in 2009

by Donk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:48 pm

poser wrote:

Hardly. It's just pulp, isn't it? Engaging stories told in an entertaining way to appeal to the mass-market. The equivalent of a summer blockbuster: harmless and enjoyable, yet sneered at by those with their heads up their arses.

For what it's worth, Shakespeare was seen at the time as being too lowbrow, bawdy and populist to be truly considered great. His contemporaries such as Marlowe and Jonson were more widely admir'd because they had Uni educations (at least, I think Ben Jonson did).

That said, I'll probably wait for the paperback...

Shakespeare is actually good though.

Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008

by Poser » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:51 pm

Donk wrote:
Shakespeare is actually good though.

Great. Thanks.

Why not flick through my post history and misunderstand some more of what I've written on here?

Fatal Exception
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover

by Fatal Exception » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:55 pm

Shakespeare is no Dickens.

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Donk
Joined in 2009

by Donk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 pm

I didn't misunderstand at all. Just pointing out the utter flaw in your argument. Shakespeare was seen as trash in it's time, so Dan Browne's travesties are going to be seen as glorious masterpieces in a few hundred years time.

Or, not.

Extralife
Joined in 2008

by Extralife » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Kanbei wrote:Rubbish is what it'll be :D

Fixed.

Reading the Da Vinci Code was about as entertaining as chemotherapy.

Wii Friend Code: 4367 2078 8771 6102
Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008

by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:00 pm

Donk wrote:Shakespeare was seen as trash in it's time,

I can't believe you would make this kind of error; you're contributing to the decline of GRcade.

Donk
Joined in 2009

by Donk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:01 pm

Mind Crime wrote:

I can't believe you would make this kind of error; you're contributing to the decline of GRcade.

Oh boo hoo a SPG mistake on an internet forum.

At least I don't read Dan Brown.

Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008

by Poser » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:03 pm

Donk wrote:I didn't misunderstand at all. Just pointing out the utter flaw in your argument. Shakespeare was seen as trash in it's time, so Dan Browne's travesties are going to be seen as glorious masterpieces in a few hundred years time.

Or, not.

And you know that for a fact, do you? Underestimate the mass market and the popular vote at your peril.

I was only pointing out the utter flaw in your argument: that people who read populist fiction are contributing to the decline of literature.

Come back when you have a basic grasp of apostrophe use - two wrong in that post alone, Literature Boy.

Last edited by Poser on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008

by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:04 pm

Donk wrote:
Mind Crime wrote:

At least I'm not a pretentious twat. :)

Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008

by Poser » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:04 pm

Donk wrote:
Mind Crime wrote:

:lol: OK, I need to type faster...

Donk
Joined in 2009

by Donk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:07 pm

Mind Crime wrote:
Donk wrote:
Mind Crime wrote:

At least I'm not a pretentious twat. :)

If being a pretentious twat means I'm not the sort of sewer dwelling eejit who watches Big Brother, thinks the Halo series are the best games ever, and reads Dan Brown, then I'm totally in.

Fallen Phoenix
Joined in 2008

by Fallen Phoenix » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:10 pm

From reading his other books, the problem he has is they all use exactly the same formula

Starts with the lead waking up

Called / Goes into work

Love interest is the person they don't seem to get on with

The goodie / person in power is actually the bad guy

The bad guy is misunderstood somehow

Final confrontation

Lead goes to bed

Return to “Stuff”