Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Rubix
Joined in 2008

PostHarry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
by Rubix » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Apple Trailers
Official Site

Movie comes out in a few weeks, heard there has been a lot changed from the book and some new bits added which I am not to happy about.

Last edited by Rubix on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
PLAY | Persona 3 Reloaded [3h]
WATCH | Ted Lasso S3, HiJack S1, Red Dwarf S4, Dexter S2
RACE | Chew Valley 10k (June), GNR (Sept), Cardiff Half (Oct)
Songwriter
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince *July 17*
by Songwriter » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Rubix78 wrote: Movie comes out in a few weeks, heard there has been a lot changed from the book and some new bits added which I am not to happy about.

That's why you shouldnt judge a book by its cover.

Dandy Kong
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dandy Kong

by Dandy Kong » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:15 pm

What was changed?

Abs
Joined in 2008

by Abs » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:17 pm

I never read this one, trailer looks allright.. but then none of the films have really been that great I think.

lex-man wrote:I still smoke I thinks its good to smoke late at night, the fire in my hand mirrors the fire in my mind.
Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Dandy Kong wrote:What was changed?

Apperently Harry isn't invised. He hides downstairs and looks up through the floorboards. Snape finds him and gestures to be quiet. And then goes up and KILLS DUMBLEDORE.

So Snape's alliegence is pretty much revealed as he saves Harry, but everyone forgets/ignores this for dramatic tension/chase scenes.

There's some other big stuff as well from memory - I think the "battle" is toned down a fair bit too, to make the next seem bigger

Also there's apparently been some rather significant re-shoots/redos since the initial version (which is said to be the reason for 8 month delay()

Last edited by Hexx on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubix
Joined in 2008

by Rubix » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Not sure something I heard on the radio, fans who had a private screening came out moaning

PLAY | Persona 3 Reloaded [3h]
WATCH | Ted Lasso S3, HiJack S1, Red Dwarf S4, Dexter S2
RACE | Chew Valley 10k (June), GNR (Sept), Cardiff Half (Oct)
Thongings
Joined in 2008

by Thongings » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:21 pm

I saw the trailer for the first time in the cinema yesterday. Looks epic. Really looking forward to it.

The Artist Formerly Known As CrashHornet
Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:23 pm

**Insert post from Sarge repeating the official line. There's no re-shoots. The delay was purely to move it to the summer where there are no other films as competition. After all there was reams of competition for it November/December/Christmas. Like...um...**

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:24 pm

The delay was purple?

Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:25 pm

Hexx wrote:

Apperently Harry isn't invised. He hides downstairs and looks up through the floorboards. Snape finds him and gestures to be quiet. And then goes up and KILLS DUMBLEDORE.

So Snape's alliegence is pretty much revealed as he saves Harry, but everyone forgets/ignores this for dramatic tension/chase scenes.

There's some other big stuff as well from memory - I think the "battle" is toned down a fair bit too, to make the next seem bigger

Also there's apparently been some rather significant re-shoots/redos since the initial version (which is said to be the reason for 8 month delay()

WTF!!!

That's shite if true.

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.

Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Cuttooth wrote:The delay was purple?

If you say so

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38251

That's (one of) the reviews of the screenings last year. Here's the end bit

I had the most problems with the film’s final third. Harry and Dumbledore’s trip to the caves seemed to come out of nowhere, as did Dumbledore’s declaration that he had to drink the water from the podium in which the locket they were after was held. I don’t remember if that’s how it happened in the book, but I remember arriving at that location & conclusion in a way that at least felt more natural.

After that, they make their way to the tower and instead of using a charm to immobilize Harry and cover him with the invisibility cloak like in the book, Dumbledore just sends Harry away, and Harry goes downstairs, stops & watches the following scene through cracks in the floor above him. Malfoy tries to kill Dumbledore but realizes he can’t. Snape arrives on the floor below & signals Harry to be quiet, which he uncharacteristically does. Snape then goes upstairs & sends Dumbledore to his death. The modifications made to this scene from book to film are terrible, and they partially blow what may be the biggest surprise of the entire franchise.

Afterwards, there is no enormous battle. The Death Eaters stroll out silently. I remember the fight in the book being fantastic, and I personally would rather have had a short scene in the beginning with two guys talking about the horrible things the Death Eaters are doing than eliminate the battle at the end. Harry runs after them and confronts Snape, who quietly tells him he’s the Half-Blood Prince. Again, due to lack of attention paid to this plotline, I didn’t really care. In the book, he screams his response. The book has Snape screaming and the film has him using his indoor voice. What a disappointment.

And as if this weren’t enough, there is no funeral for Dumbledore. It’s been cut.

Most of that matches what you can make out in trailers.

Last edited by Hexx on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:29 pm

That is rubbish. :fp:

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.

Songwriter
Joined in 2008

by Songwriter » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:29 pm

Wedgie wrote: WTF!!!

That's shite if true X 2.

That's bonkers.

Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:43 pm

My view on this is that the higher powers don't want to see children fighting adults.

It's much more of "WOULDN'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILLLLLLLLLLLDREEEEEN!" moment.

I hope all this is bullshit. If it isn't then I would be very disappointed.

Sarge

by Sarge » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Hexx wrote:**Insert post from Sarge repeating the official line. There's no re-shoots. The delay was purely to move it to the summer where there are no other films as competition. After all there was reams of competition for it November/December/Christmas. Like...um...**

And yet the latest trailers still show the exact same scenes from last year.

Y'know, the scenes that were allegedly the reason behind the 8month delay. :lol:

Now I'm not saying they didn't reshoot loads of scenes, but current evidence (the trailers) seems to indicate that they didn't.

And the delay wasn't because of competition, WB said they wanted to space out their big hitters...which was partly true as TDK had just made close to $1billion dollars at the time and probably would have affected the BO takings of Harry Potter.

Nook29
Joined in 2008

by Nook29 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:46 pm

Looking forward to the film. I've enjoyed all the films so far, not as good as the books of course, but they've done a good job.

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:47 pm

Sarge wrote:
Hexx wrote:**Insert post from Sarge repeating the official line. There's no re-shoots. The delay was purely to move it to the summer where there are no other films as competition. After all there was reams of competition for it November/December/Christmas. Like...um...**

And yet the latest trailers still show the exact same scenes from last year.

Y'know, the scenes that were allegedly the reason behind the 8month delay. :lol:

Now I'm not saying they didn't reshoot loads of scenes, but current evidence (the trailers) seems to indicate that they didn't.

And the delay wasn't because of competition, WB said they wanted to space out their big hitters...which was partly true as TDK had just made close to $1billion dollars at the time and probably would have affected the BO takings of Harry Potter.

If we were in the Matrix you'd take the blue pill :(

Nibble
Joined in 2008

by Nibble » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:51 pm

I'm feeling ambivalent about this. On the one hand I thought this was the best book of the series, on the other it's being directed by the guy who was responsible for the worst film so far i.e. Phoenix.

Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Eighthours » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:53 pm

If they haven't used the extra eight months to re-edit the movie following the abysmal test screening results, I'd be very surprised.

Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Skarjo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Best book of the series, but it's a lot of content to cram in.

I don't think Phoenix suffered too badly from the huge amounts of content they had to cut though.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...

Return to “Stuff”