Terminator Salvation?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
mic
Joined in 2008

PostTerminator Salvation?
by mic » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:47 am

Thought this deserved its own thread, since I didn't see one... :shifty:

What happens in the first ten minutes, please? Got in a bit late, see...

Kyle, Star and Marcus on the road was amazing. It was great seeing the HK's in action.

Don't those bikes have a mechanism to upright themselves? :roll:

I didn't like the whole 'find Kyle Reece' plot reversal, since it took up the whole movie. Shame about the end too - I was expecting Machine City, but it was just a poorly defended factory/ prison. Where was the war, damnit!

I wanted the future to be skulls EVERYWHERE (like the previous movies' flash-forward nightmares), but I only noticed one skull getting stomped (even if it was a baby skull). Ultimately, I wanted Jim Cameron's conception of the future and we didn't really get that. That weren't even any lasers!

SkyNet was gooseberry fool. She told Marcus that he wouldn't be able to save Conner... but then let him do exactly that. It was like she just died when he threw the chair through the screen.

Maybe they're saving it all up for the next part. Still a bloody good film. Not as good as Star Trek though...

KjGarly
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter

PostRe: Terminator Salvation?
by KjGarly » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:19 am

The first 10 minutes...

Starts off with Marcus in prison just about to be executed in 2003, Helena Boham Carter's character pays him a visit and he gives his body to Cyberdyne Research (Which would be used to make the prototype infiltrator) go forward to 2018 and John Connor and the resistance are raiding a mine operated by Skynet where he finds the plans for the T-800 (On his way through we see Marcus for a brief second strapped to a bed) he returns to the surface, everyone dies in an explosion underground and everyone's dead up top. He gets attacked by a T-600 with no legs, kills it and then gets picked up and makes his way to the resistance sub.

Marcus survives, finds a dead resistance soldier and takes his jacket.

That's it for the first 10 minutes i'd say. Don't forget that future war scenes from the previous Terminator movies are around the year 2029 and it's only the year 2018 in Salvation, and with 2 more movies planned theres most likely going to be some big wars in them. With skulls.

;)

Fargo
Joined in 2008

by Fargo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:49 am

Amazing film I was really impressed.

Gandalf
Joined in 2008

by Gandalf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:09 am

Terminator Salvation: a solid 7.5/10. I had been looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint. A great action packed film where it's not as good as T2, about the same as the first and miles ahead of the T3. I thought the ending was a little meh, but hey. Though not as good as Star Trek, it's still bloody good!

Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Eighthours » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:15 am

Saw this in the States last week. It was... alright.

Not as bad as I thought it would be when McG was announced as director.
Not as good as I thought it might be when I saw the trailers.

What disappointed me was that if you've seen the trailers, that's the film. There's nothing else there. Unless you count the very few shots of CG Arnie, which in itself looked a bit unfinished, presumably because the nod for its inclusion was only properly given a few weeks ago.

The main problem was the script. Completely underdeveloped. Clearly subjected to loads and loads of rewrites throughout production. They wimped out of the (ballsier, if nuts) ending when it leaked, as that was clearly the plan. What was that annoying kid with the hair about?

The good thing was how it was filmed. I really liked the cinematography, and some of the action sequences were excellent. So as a cinematic experience it was worth going to see. Unfortunately it did precisely fuck-all to enhance the Terminator canon, and was a missed opportunity overall.

Ropes
Joined in 2008

by Ropes » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:28 am

I liked it overall, probably a 6/10. Having watched the other 3 Terminator films for the first time over the last 4 or 5 days helped too in giving me easy comparisons with the others. One thing I need help with is:

What would happen if Kyle Reese was killed? Would John Connor just disappear into thin air or what? The whole film was about keeping KR alive but didn't seem to explain the exact consequences of what would happen if he got minced. Maybe because if they did try to explain what would happen, it would be complete BS.

Decent special effects though, thought the Marcus character was pretty good just Bale letting the team down for once really. Too serious, too gruff and unrelated to the same character from T3. I realise he's a lot older, but you couldn't pick out any attributes from any of the other JC's.

KjGarly
Joined in 2008

by KjGarly » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:49 am

Not sure JC would just disappear if Reese was killed, it's all about alternate futures isn't it? That's why JC say's it's different from the future Sarah told him about. I guess if he died it would just strawberry float up some other branched version of the timeline.

Besides i'm sure theres plenty of other soldiers who would be happy to go back to 1984 and spit roast Sarah Connor, hell, John could go back and do it himself. Imagine that.

mic
Joined in 2008

by mic » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks for that, KjGarly! :) Looks like I didn't miss anything, then.

Eighthours wrote:...They wimped out of the (ballsier, if nuts) ending when it leaked, as that was clearly the plan...

Why, what happens in the alternate ending?

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:19 pm

Good it may be, but without the man himself there can be no comparison.

Count Nood
Joined in 2008

by Count Nood » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:21 pm

I'll be seeing this at the weekend, judging by some of the comments on here it won't be as bad as I expect.

The Eeveelution club!!! \o/
The Alchemist Penguin wrote:I want Tales of Vesperia PS3 now. Especially you loveable Patty. :wub:
Ironhide
Fiend
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:04 pm

Brerlappins little hat wrote:may be spoilers in this but it made me lol

http://www.cracked.com/article_17454_te ... lshit.html

Terminator salvation if they left out the bullshit

And it raises a good point i never thought of, how the strawberry float did a liquid metal terminator (T2) go through time if only living tissue will go through??

I'm guessing the "mimetic poly-alloy" it's made from can mimic whatever properties living flesh has that allows it to travel through time, or Skynet just improved the time machine design to allow the T1000 to use it.

As a side note, in the final episode of Terminator: TSCC The damaged body of Cameron couldn't travel through time due to 'her' exposed endoskeleton.

chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

by chalkitdown » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Brerlappins little hat wrote: And what about the new terminator film, do regular bullets kill terminators like they didnt kill them in the other films?? I see them using regular machine guns in the clips

The ones they kill in the movie are pre-Arnie models.

Ironhide
Fiend
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:26 pm

chalkitdown wrote:
Brerlappins little hat wrote: And what about the new terminator film, do regular bullets kill terminators like they didnt kill them in the other films?? I see them using regular machine guns in the clips

The ones they kill in the movie are pre-Arnie models.

T700's?

chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

by chalkitdown » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:45 pm

I've no idea what they're called.

KjGarly
Joined in 2008

by KjGarly » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:35 pm

T-600 model. T-800 is a tougher muthafucker.

jamcc
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by jamcc » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Gonna go see this tonight... After getting doobed.

Can't wait. :D

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Im off to see this tomorrow, at Star City...in gold class. :D

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Eyes of God
Joined in 2009

by Eyes of God » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Kermode reckons it's dogshit.

ImageImage
tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by tomvek » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:26 pm

jamcc wrote:Gonna go see this tonight... After getting doobed.

Hope you enjoy it dude.

jamcc
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by jamcc » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:27 pm

tomvek wrote:
jamcc wrote:Gonna go see this tonight... After getting doobed.

Hope you enjoy it dude.

Um, thanks. :)

I'm suspicious, as no one is ever that nice on here, without some kind of highly saracastic undertone..

*Backs away slowly*

:shifty:

Return to “Stuff”