Politics Thread 7: Dishy Rishi's Cabinet of Horrors

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservatives
7%
Labour
56%
SNP
6%
Lib Dems
10%
DUP
1%
Sinn Fein
No votes
Plaid Cymru
2%
SDLP
No votes
Alba
No votes
Greens
16%
Alliance
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 115
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 7: Dishy Rishi's Cabinet of Horrors
by Cuttooth » Tue May 07, 2024 10:43 am

I suspect they'll roll back the changes to mayoral and PCC elections to make them use the supplementary vote system they used to but nothing else in terms of improving the electoral system or voters' access to the ballot box.

jimbojango
Joined in 2008

by jimbojango » Tue May 07, 2024 10:49 am

Knoyleo wrote:They'll use it as an excuse to bring in mandatory ID cards for all.

I don’t see why this is unpopular - I mean we are already tracked by Google, Amazon, Tesco, Apple, the CCP, etc, so why not do something official? It seems unfair to make people fork out for passports if they don’t plan to travel just to have an ID.

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue May 07, 2024 10:50 am

Knoyleo wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:The watchdog found that voter ID will benefit the Tories, so there is a chance Labour repeal the requirement on that measure alone.

However, I don't think they will. I think they will increase options of valid ID (they will adjust the old person's bus pass/young person's travel card thing in the blink of an eye) and possibly improve access to free valid ID for those without, but that's it.

They'll use it as an excuse to bring in mandatory ID cards for all.

I look forward to the Tories arguing that we didn't vote for Brexit to adopt European right-wing policy.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Tue May 07, 2024 10:52 am

jimbojango wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:They'll use it as an excuse to bring in mandatory ID cards for all.

I don’t see why this is unpopular - I mean we are already tracked by Google, Amazon, Tesco, Apple, the CCP, etc, so why not do something official? It seems unfair to make people fork out for passports if they don’t plan to travel just to have an ID.

It isn't fair to make people fork out for passports. That's why the voting ID laws should be scrapped.

ID cards/voting ID is unpopular because it's pointless. And it's very easy to opt out of being tracked by Apple, not so easy if a government forces you to carry a card around with you.

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Tue May 07, 2024 11:00 am

jimbojango wrote:

We're already strawberry floated, so why try harder!

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
jimbojango
Joined in 2008

by jimbojango » Tue May 07, 2024 11:29 am

Knoyleo wrote:
jimbojango wrote:

We're already strawberry floated, so why try harder!

When it can involve an expensive procurement exercise to award the lucrative contract to a party doner, and meet the stringent data security we expect, what could go wrong?

In principle a unified national citizen ID and database would be great, but in practice the chances of a uk government messing it up and or abusing it are so high it should never be attempted.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Tue May 07, 2024 11:36 am

jimbojango wrote:In principle a unified national citizen ID and database would be great,

Why would it be great?

jimbojango
Joined in 2008

by jimbojango » Tue May 07, 2024 11:50 am

Moggy wrote:
jimbojango wrote:In principle a unified national citizen ID and database would be great,

Why would it be great?

If we had merged details then healthcare, social care and all the other support organisations could save a lot of time and deliver better services. From an NHS point of view, we spend so much time trying to tie a person to their records and dealing with contradictions and blocks, from other public services, it is frustrating. I don’t know if that would seem worthwhile to the public, now I say it does sound like me moaning about admin at work.

Would people like an NHS identity card? Free and usable as ID but we promise not to share your data or mess up too much. Probably. Certainly won’t sell your data to insurance companies, again. Sorry about that.

I should probably just be satisfied with adding rfid tags on the X-ray equipment and beds. Yes, these things somehow get lost.

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Tue May 07, 2024 11:58 am

Feels very quiet in Tory land after those dreadful results.

I guess they're resigned to defeat at the next GE now.

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008

by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue May 07, 2024 12:08 pm

Tomous wrote:Feels very quiet in Tory land after those dreadful results.

I guess they're resigned to defeat at the next GE now.

They have all be reassured by Sunak's promise to redouble his efforts to deliver for the British people 8-).

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Tue May 07, 2024 12:20 pm

jimbojango wrote:
Moggy wrote:

Why would it be great?

If we had merged details then healthcare, social care and all the other support organisations could save a lot of time and deliver better services. From an NHS point of view, we spend so much time trying to tie a person to their records and dealing with contradictions and blocks, from other public services, it is frustrating. I don’t know if that would seem worthwhile to the public, now I say it does sound like me moaning about admin at work.

Would people like an NHS identity card? Free and usable as ID but we promise not to share your data or mess up too much. Probably. Certainly won’t sell your data to insurance companies, again. Sorry about that.

I should probably just be satisfied with adding rfid tags on the X-ray equipment and beds. Yes, these things somehow get lost.

There's a difference between "government computer systems efficiently share data" and "everyone gets issued with photo ID that they have to carry with them at all times".

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008

by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue May 07, 2024 12:27 pm

The thought of carrying physical cards around now feels so old-fashioned. I haven't taken my wallet with me anywhere since getting Google Pay. I can't stick a loose card in one of my pockets – that'd just be weird!

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Tue May 07, 2024 1:12 pm

Lived in Denmark for a bit and they have a system like this. It's implemented reasonably well.

I wouldn't be against it if there was someone competent at the helm.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Tue May 07, 2024 1:19 pm

Squinty wrote:Lived in Denmark for a bit and they have a system like this. It's implemented reasonably well.

I'm only going by Wikipedia, but I don't think Denmark has a compulsory national ID card.

Non-national identity cards are issued by local municipalities since 2017. The ID cards do not follow EU standard for national identity cards and are not usable as travel documentation outside Denmark.

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Tue May 07, 2024 1:22 pm

Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:Lived in Denmark for a bit and they have a system like this. It's implemented reasonably well.

I'm only going by Wikipedia, but I don't think Denmark has a compulsory national ID card.

Non-national identity cards are issued by local municipalities since 2017. The ID cards do not follow EU standard for national identity cards and are not usable as travel documentation outside Denmark.

Sorry, I meant the merged thing Jimbo was proposing.

Outrunner
Joined in 2008

by Outrunner » Tue May 07, 2024 1:41 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:The thought of carrying physical cards around now feels so old-fashioned. I haven't taken my wallet with me anywhere since getting Google Pay. I can't stick a loose card in one of my pockets – that'd just be weird!

I wish I had that confidence. Until I can guarantee that paying on my phone will work all of the time I won't risk leaving my card behind.

Please do not post this in the "No Context" thread
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018

by Vermilion » Tue May 07, 2024 1:52 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:The thought of carrying physical cards around now feels so old-fashioned. I haven't taken my wallet with me anywhere since getting Google Pay. I can't stick a loose card in one of my pockets – that'd just be weird!

Just wait until your phone decides to do something gooseberry fool when trying to pay for your goods.

I refuse to pay for anything with a phone, i only ever use the card for smaller stuff if there's no cash option.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Tue May 07, 2024 2:00 pm

Vermilion wrote:

Just wait until your phone decides to do something gooseberry fool when trying to pay for your goods.

I refuse to pay for anything with a phone, i only ever use the card for smaller stuff if there's no cash option.

Just wait until you lose your card/get mugged for your cash. ;)

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Tue May 07, 2024 2:06 pm

twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1787828315144831391

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008

by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue May 07, 2024 2:06 pm

Vermilion wrote:

I've been waiting a few years now. You don't need signal or any kind of active online connection. They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

I would be up gooseberry fool creek now if I tried to use a real card and they asked me for my PIN :lol:.

Return to “Stuff”