Super Nintendo - Official Thread (Now with added poll)

Anything to do with games at all.

Greatest SNES exclusive game/series?

Super Mario Kart
3%
Super Mario All stars
3%
Super Mario World/SMW2:Yoshi's Island
27%
Super Metroid
20%
Chrono Trigger
13%
Donkey Kong Country
3%
F-Zero
No votes
Final Fantasy
No votes
Killer Instinct
No votes
Kirby Super Star
No votes
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
17%
Star fox
3%
Mega Man X
7%
Secret of Mana
No votes
Super Castlevania IV
No votes
Street Fighter II Turbo
3%

Total votes: 30
ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

PostSuper Nintendo - Official Thread (Now with added poll)
by ITSMILNER » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:55 pm

ImageImage

UK release date: April 11th 1992

information
The Super Nintendo Entertainment System or Super NES (also called SNES and Super Nintendo) is a 16-bit video game console that was released by Nintendo in North America, Europe, Australasia and South America between 1990 and 1993. In Japan and Southeast Asia, the system is called the Super Family Computer, Super Famicom or SFC for short. In South Korea, it is known as the Super Comboy and was distributed by Hyundai Electronics. Although each version is essentially the same, several forms of regional lockout prevent direct compatibility.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was Nintendo's second home console, following the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The console introduced advanced graphics and sound capabilities that compensated for its relatively slow CPU, compared with other consoles at the time. Additionally, development of a variety of enhancement chips (which shipped as part of certain game cartridges) helped to keep it competitive in the marketplace.

The SNES was a global success, becoming the best-selling console of the 16-bit era despite its relatively late start and the fierce competition it faced in North America from Sega's Genesis console. Some consider the SNES to embody the "Golden Age of video games", citing its many groundbreaking games and the perceived focus on gameplay over graphics and technical gimmicks. Others question this perceived romanticism, believing the system was just another step in the evolution of video game technology. The SNES remained popular well into the 32-bit era, and although Nintendo has dropped all support for the console, it continues to be popular among fans, collectors, and emulation enthusiasts, some of whom are still making "homebrew" ROM images.

The SNES is my favourite games machine of all time thanks to it's fantastic collection of games including:

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario World

Super Metroid

Legend of Zelda LttP

Starwing

ISS

Street Fighter 2: Turbo

So who hear remembers this classic machine? do you remember your all night gaming marathons on Super Metroid? Do you remember your multiplayer bomb fests on Super Bomberman? What are your favourite games/memories? Do you have any recommendations of great games that many may not have played? discuss this classic machine right here!

Last edited by ITSMILNER on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Daniel
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Super Nintendo Thread
by Daniel » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:57 pm

A great console. Had one since one Xmas when I was a nipper and still have it and a ton of games. Super Star Wars still gets some time from me now and so many classica games! Preffered the Mega Drive though

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:26 pm

Super Star Wars was a cool game another good game that some of you may not have played is The Firemen

THE FIREMEN

This is a great game that some of you may not have tried out the basis is that your a Fireman (duh) and you have to complete missions involving running around buildings trying to save lives and put out fires(including boss battles with bigger flames) give it a try if you get a chance

Daniel
Joined in 2008

by Daniel » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:27 pm

No havent played that one. Looks like my sorta thing though

consolegaming
Joined in 2008

by consolegaming » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:41 pm

I was a sega guy back then and being a typical kid did not own both consoles!

My older age now makes me a bit more of a nintendo fan and the snes had the best 2d platformers in the mario world games and also gave us pilotwings, f-zero and mario kart, which i only played once at my friends place years ago!

Nintendo should really get a move on with some of these virtual console releases, i want to play them!

floydfreak
Joined in 2008

by floydfreak » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:52 pm

I still have mine with the super mario all stars bundle along with Mario World, Nigel Mansells F1 game, Fifa 96 and mario kart

Last edited by floydfreak on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E-Man
Joined in 2008

by E-Man » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:02 pm

First console I ever bought. Mario Kart and World are still two of my favourite games.

Jazzem
Joined in 2008

by Jazzem » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:08 pm

The SNES is an amazing system, also my favourite of all time. I didn't get my own SNES until 2002 but since then I've treasured the grey box o' fun. Some of the standout games:

Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Contra III/Super Probotector
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Cybernator
Aladdin
Street Fighter II' Turbo
Yoshi's Islands
Super Mario All Stars
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong Country 1/2 (And 3 to a lesser extent)
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Super Castlevania IV
Harvest Moon
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Best software library of any machine? I'd say so!

In fact I'm currently playing two games on mine. Yoshi's Island, one of the most visually appealing games ever made, and Lufia II, a really underrated JRPG. I also bought an RGB cable from ebay (They have to be modded to work on the SNES) and now the system looks great on my TV :)

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:14 pm

I never actually owned a SNES as I had a Mega Drive myself, but I've got so many memories of the hours wasted on games like Mario Kart, Street Fighter II Turbo and Star Wing :wub:

Last edited by NickSCFC on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Final Fantasy VI <3

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Lionsheart
Joined in 2008

by Lionsheart » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:32 pm

Chrono Trigger is the best game ever made.

OLIN
Joined in 2008

by OLIN » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:00 pm

Herr Dark Wolf wrote:Chrono Trigger is the best game ever made.

I played that on the PSX version earlier this year, thanks to ebay US and the nice exchange rate. I still haven't got round to playing the Super Metroid game I bought a year or two ago though, I really should give my SNES more attention.

mario101
Joined in 2008

by mario101 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:02 pm

i really want a snes, but don't know where to get one, as im not allowed to use ebay.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:05 pm

If your town has a GameStation they'll usually have one or two knocking about or in the window.

mario101
Joined in 2008

by mario101 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:36 pm

i have 3 gamestations, but they've all cleared out their retro stock.

hamm sandwich
Joined in 2008

by hamm sandwich » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:02 pm

It's my favourite console too. Aside from the obvious choices i had a particular fondness for Top Gear, Batman Returns and Killer Instinct which shat all over Tekken and Virtaua Fighter back in 1995..

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Super Nintendo - Official Thread
by ITSMILNER » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:08 pm

Just realised that I can add youtube videos :oops: just edited the first post :mrgreen:

~Earl Grey~
Joined in 2008

by ~Earl Grey~ » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:06 am

I love my SNES. It was my first console and I still play it and buy games to this day. I currently have 132 (I think) - pretty much all the classic must-haves and loads of random ones (some of which are gooseberry fool, but at a few quid a pop these days why not?)

franklk
Joined in 2008

by franklk » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:00 am

Great console with lots of many, many great games. Some that have not already been mentioned include

Bomberman (especially multiplayer)
Rock n Roll Racing (especially multiplayer)
Axelay (easy but great fun)

And many other great Nintendo, Konami and Capcom games

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:37 pm

Don't forget this awesome game aswell

TMNT: Turtles in time

One of the best sidescrolling beat-em ups I have ever played so much fun especially in with friends :mrgreen:

Return to “Games”