Infinite Space - DS

Anything to do with games at all.
Hugo Stiglitz
Joined in 2009
AKA: sarge

PostInfinite Space - DS
by Hugo Stiglitz » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:56 am

Sega has unveiled some new details about its game Infinite Line for the Nintendo DS which is scheduled for spring 2009 in Japan.

- Large scale space opera RPG.

- Your character does not equip armor and swords to fight, but captains battleships in space instead.

- You collect modules for your ships to freely upgrade and customize your fleet.

- Collect crew members with their own skills and specialities to change the strategy and abilities of your fleet.

Image Image

clicky

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shas'la
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Infinite Line - DS
by shas'la » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:43 am

This is one of the Platinum games 3 for SEGA right? I know this gets overlooked for the other two, sure its not as flashy and it being outsourced to a differnt studio, but im hopeful this will be ace. I love the idea of customising your crew and ship and fleet sized engagements.

Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Infinite Line - DS
by Hero of Canton » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:58 am

This is going to be DS game of the year for next year. Believe. I just have a really strong hunch about it, and have since it was announced.

DML wrote:F'NARR!
Sarge

PostRe: Infinite Space - DS
by Sarge » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:00 pm

Japanese Trailer (CAM)

[gametrailers]41093[/gametrailers]

mokeyjoe
Joined in 2008

by mokeyjoe » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:04 pm

This sounds a bit Elite-ish.

Nice.

T9Flake
Joined in 2008

by T9Flake » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:48 pm

Looks interesting, if the custiomisation options are good what are the chances of some people doing star trek or star wars style craft?

still
Joined in 2008

by still » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:15 pm

This is looking better and better - bit disappointed to see the three letters RPG in the trailer though - I was hoping for something a bit more open - elite for the ds - no sign of trading though. Still 'a garaxy of formidable foes' awaits

Last edited by still on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extralife
Joined in 2008

by Extralife » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Looking at those scans I thought there would be some great animated sequences but it seems they are just still images.

Wii Friend Code: 4367 2078 8771 6102
Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Extralife wrote:Looking at those scans I thought there would be some great animated sequences but it seems they are just still images.

No, there will be animated sequences. From Production IG, I believe.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:38 pm

SEGA's output over the next year is pretty impressive. This and PSO are my most wanted DS games for sure.

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:38 am

for a second I thought the DS was about to get Strange Adventures In Infinite Space.

Extralife
Joined in 2008

by Extralife » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:59 pm

The DS's line up has gone from virtually non existence to awesome in the space of a month. Ninokuni, Phantasy Star 0, Infinite Line, Mario and Luigi. The little handheld has totally redeemed itself. :D

Wii Friend Code: 4367 2078 8771 6102
Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Don't forget Wario Ware DIY.

And it's not gone from non-existent to awesome. It's just that a lot of its great games don't get a lot of hype. Lock's Quest has had very few reviews and is great. EA's Zubo is a terrific RPG with a great sense of humour. The Korg DS-10 is a wonderful music creation tool. And that's just three of the titles I've played over the last month or so.

Sarge

by Sarge » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:42 pm

IGN Update

SEGA proudly displayed a slew of Nintendo DS games this year and one of the more popular titles was Patinum Games' Infinite Space. When this game was first revealed in May it was described as resembling a Star Trek type experience where players could captain and customize their own ship. Today we saw what they meant.

Although the intro was entirely in Japanese, I was able to advance through the game's prologue which has players control one of the most powerful ships in the universe. The combat is very much inspired by naval battles where there are general attacks that have a high percentage of hitting and more specific shots that will likely miss their targets but can inflict huge amounts of damage. The camera can be moved from the bridge of your vessel to various views of the ships you encounter in the cosmos. The bottom screen shows a map of the ship's functions while the top screen displays the action. It truly is an epic undertaking on such a tiny device.

We asked the producer Kono San what his inspiration for the battle system was and he jokingly replied "There was no inspiration for the system because I am a genius, I thought of it myself." He went on to describe what the combat resembles: "I'm very familiar with the military ships from WWII and that inspired this battle system."

The story line will involve two planets and ten major powers that are at war. The war will include more than 200,000 powers on each side. The theme behind the story is based on the belief that the human race needs to be at war in order to go on. Kono San feels that the human race will die out if peace ever prevailed.

We asked specifically why the DS was the best choice for such a large undertaking. "The volume and length of the game is very long, so gamers should be able to pick up and play at any time." He went on to say "I would like to see more games like this on DS only if the creator was coming up with something new and unique." Infinite Space is certainly unique, hopefully we'll have the chance to experience the game in English sometime soon.

clicky

Mogster
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Mogster » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Now I remember this! I saw a thread about it ages ago, and it looked right up my street. :o

It doesn't sound like the sort of game you'd expect to find on the DS though. In fact, it sounds like the sort of geeky, niche games that crop up on the PC every now and then. That's a good thing, but I can't see it selling to well on the DS.

I'm Let's Playing my way through the Tomb Raider series: https://www.youtube.com/c/JevanMoss
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Octoroc wrote:
Eurogamer wrote:PlatinumGames' space RPG Infinite Space will be released on 26th March.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/platinums-infinite-space-rpg-dated

:shifty:

rudderless
Joined in 2009

by rudderless » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:26 pm

Sheesh, that's a bump and three-quarters. I'm less excited about this than I was, mainly thanks to some slightly negative early impressions (which I hope are wrong). Not mad keen on the idea of it being too anime-focused, but we'll see.

[iup=3595962]KB[/iup] wrote:People like Glen Whelan have a proper face!
Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Eighthours » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Still hopeful about this. Could be the first DS game I've bought in a long while if it's any good.

Oxx
Joined in 2008

by Oxx » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:55 pm

You could have at least inserted my posts from the other thread, Suzz. What are we paying you for?

Releasing on the same day as Pokemon GS does seem pretty ludicrous. I've been itching for a substantial DS RPG since I finished Mario and Luigi. Where were you then, Sega?

But I understand that most publishers are holding-off on DS content until the DSi XL sales boost. And that Infinite Space is hardly going to set the world alight on any release date. That said, it should be nice and cheap by the time I have had my way with Pokemon.

Oxx
Joined in 2008

by Oxx » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:52 am

Return to “Games”