GAME and Gameplay shipping non-new stock OUTRAGE

Anything to do with games at all.
rinks
Joined in 2008

PostGAME and Gameplay shipping non-new stock OUTRAGE
by rinks » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:21 pm

This has been discussed in the Bargains thread, but I figured it needed its own thread, partly to keep the Bargains thread on-topic, but mainly to raise awareness of it.

It appears that Game and Gameplay have been sending out games that are clearly not new, and it seems to be mainly products from their sale. I'm avoiding using the terms used, pre-owned or second-hand, because the stuff could just be stock returned from stores, but people are reporting that they are getting supposedly new games arriving with store-style GAME seals, and a lot of the stuff is in an extremely tatty state.

Tell us your horror stories, so we can judge just how bad this situation is, and maybe arrange some kind of protest.

Loves us all since 2008
Agent47
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GAME and Gameplay shipping non-new stock OUTRAGE
by Agent47 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:29 pm

rinks wrote:I'm avoiding using the terms used, pre-owned or second-hand, because the stuff could just be stock returned from stores, but people are reporting that they are getting supposedly new games arriving with store-style GAME seals, and a lot of the stuff is in an extremely tatty state.

Honestly, I'm 99% sure this is what it is. We get recalls each week and some of the stock I've seen come in our deliveries is clearly from some of those recalls. It's actually shocking what other stores do with their stock, going off the state I've seen some discs in.

http://garybaileywriting.wordpress.com/ - A place to read a little flash fiction.
http://theminigamereview.blogspot.com/ - My own personal review space.
http://silentilshortstories.blogspot.com/ - A showcase of short stories I have written.
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:31 pm

So they're basically breaking the law.

Agent47
Joined in 2008

by Agent47 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:32 pm

KKLEIN wrote:So they're basically breaking the law.

Not really, it's more down to some poor storage in some stores.

http://garybaileywriting.wordpress.com/ - A place to read a little flash fiction.
http://silentilshortstories.blogspot.com/ - A showcase of short stories I have written.
rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Agent47 wrote:
rinks wrote:I'm avoiding using the terms used, pre-owned or second-hand, because the stuff could just be stock returned from stores, but people are reporting that they are getting supposedly new games arriving with store-style GAME seals, and a lot of the stuff is in an extremely tatty state.

Honestly, I'm 99% sure this is what it is. We get recalls each week and some of the stock I've seen come in our deliveries is clearly from some of those recalls. It's actually shocking what other stores do with their stock, going off the state I've seen some discs in.

I am fairly sure that is the reason, but it's still completely unacceptable. If they're going to sell stuff in that manner, they've got to have some quality checks in place. The fact that it's sale items doesn't excuse it either.

Loves us all since 2008
Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

by Harry Bizzle » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:36 pm

I suggest we all write to our MPs.

Or stop using game and let them know we're not using them because of it.

Either or.

instagram: @habiz
Agent47
Joined in 2008

by Agent47 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:38 pm

rinks wrote:
Agent47 wrote:

I am fairly sure that is the reason, but it's still completely unacceptable. If they're going to sell stuff in that manner, they've got to have some quality checks in place. The fact that it's sale items doesn't excuse it either.

I couldn't agree more, it's a constant source of frustration for me. I know being at Game is just a job but it doesn't mean I can't take some pride in what I do there and what I'm supposed to sell, but it's difficult when even the main warehouse itself doesn't apply the same logic.

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:40 pm

Agent47 wrote:

It is if they're selling stuff that's stated as new online & clearly isn't. When boxes are smashed & there's thumb prints &/or scratches on the disc that's absolutely not on.

Agent47
Joined in 2008

by Agent47 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:43 pm

KKLEIN wrote:
Agent47 wrote:

It is if they're selling stuff that's stated as new online & clearly isn't. When boxes are smashed & there's thumb prints &/or scratches on the disc that's absolutely not on.

I agree with that, but I don't think it's as black and white as them breaking the law. It's purely down to lack of any real quality control when it comes to recalled stock from stores.

It's a difficult situation for both sides.

SchminkyPinky
Joined in 2008

by SchminkyPinky » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:01 pm

I think it's completely unacceptable for them to be selling used stock as new. If my copy of Assassin's Creed 2 is at all tatty then I will be sending it back and they won't be getting any more of my money until they sort out this mess.

Lotus
Joined in 2008

by Lotus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:07 pm

This is what I wrote in the Bargains thread:

===============

Just received my order from Gameplay. :x

While Red Faction looks new (the cellophane is torn, but it's got the Xbox sticker over the bit where you open the case), The Bigs 2 and Infinite Undiscovery are clearly second hand. Battered boxes, labels half torn off (only the sticky labels, but a new game wouldn't have that), the cases are scuffed, and the The Bigs disc is scratched/marked. I haven't opened Infinite Undiscovery in case, but I assume it's shoddy inside as well.

Such a strawberry floating joke.

Can I return these? They're clearly not new, but being sold as new. I've opened one but not the other - can I still get a refund or replacement?

===============

I sent an email to complain, but I expect they'll try and fob me off, so I'll give them a call if/when that happens.

Oxx
Joined in 2008

by Oxx » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Someone call Watchdog.

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

by Memento Mori » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:20 pm

The copy of Dark Athena I ordered off the Game website appeared used.

Razilez
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raz

by Razilez » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:20 pm

A bought a new copy of Resident Evil 4 Wii a couple of weeks back from them for a friends birthday. It was anything but 'new'. It had Game's own seal on the tattered box, but inside there were preowned stickers all over the place. I contacted them and told them I was furious with this service, after having paid additional costs for a new copy. They told me to send the copy back to them for a full refund, but have yet to contact me.

Will send another email this week to them to see when they'll refund me.

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Totally unrelated, but it saves making a new thread. I heard a manager at GAME near me today telling a customer he'd just been shown the new 3DS and that it had a 3D screen that you didn't need glasses for. He said that it looked like a DS Lite, but the screen were projecting out holograms.

What the strawberry float is wrong with these people?

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

by Memento Mori » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:01 pm

:lol:

Dave
Joined in 2008

by Dave » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:16 pm

Same thing's happened to me twice and with the same game. I returned the first copy to a store in the hope that it was a one-off. Apparently not, and to my disgust the second one was delivered in an even worse condition.

I've written a complaint to their customer services threatening to take them to Trading Standards, and I'm also teasing with the idea of requesting comment from a GAME spokesperson next week with the intention of reporting it as a story.

Twitter:@VG_Dave
rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:59 pm

Dave wrote:I've written a complaint to their customer services threatening to take them to Trading Standards, and I'm also teasing with the idea of requesting comment from a GAME spokesperson next week with the intention of reporting it as a story.

You should definitely do that. Hopefully, if everyone who has had a problem posts about it here, you could back up your request with plenty of examples. Until this is resolved, I certainly won't be ordering any older titles from these companies.

Loves us all since 2008
Tragic Magic
Joined in 2008

by Tragic Magic » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:05 am

I got lucky with my order. Ordered 5 games in Gameplay's Easter Sale. 3 turned up brand new in their original packaging, 2 of them were unsealed and had GAME's (annoyingly fiddly) seals stuck over them. Luckily for me, the 2 that had been unsealed were in good condition. The Band Hero disc was a little scuffed on one edge, normally I'd kick up a stink about that but it's only Band Hero so I'm not majorly bothered. Luckily my unsealed copy of Assassin's Creed 2 was in mint condition, apart from the fact they put in a code for Avatar unlocks instead of the code for an extra Assassin's Creed mission.

PES Fan
Joined in 2008

by PES Fan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:18 am

Do it Dave.

I could understand if there was no seal like in their stores really. But in this case it isn't acceptable, because the covers and the manuals have been damaged, despite being advertised as new. You wouldn't be allowed to do this sort of stuff on ebay, nevermind a retailer doing it to you.

Return to “Games”