DVD Vs Blu Ray Discussion: My disc is bigger than yours

Anything to do with games at all.
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostDVD Vs Blu Ray Discussion: My disc is bigger than yours
by Christopher » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Codename 47 wrote:I've never heard of this site before, but according to them the 360 version of LA Noire is struggling because of disc size limitations.

It looks like there may be some issues with Rockstar Games’ highly anticipated and very ambitious LA Noire for the PS3 and Xbox 360. In particular it appears the Xbox 360 version is the one with issues. While many have questioned the DVD media format on the 360 since 2006, it seems the antiquated format is causing enough problems to be frustrating the team at Team Bondi, the developer behind LA Noire.

Apparently the frustration at Team Bondi is enough that Jeronimo Barrera of Rockstar has been tasked by the heads at Take-Two, Rockstar Games’ parent company, to calm the situation at Team Bondi over the size limitations by being stationed at the developer. While information is still limited on exactly how bad the limitations are, one would assume that some form of compression would allow for a HDD install on the Xbox 360.

The biggest concern is of course whether LA Noire could possibly go back to being PS3 exclusive as it was initially announced. The good news for Xbox 360 fans of course is that if T2 is involved directly and dragging Rockstar Execs into the mix for quality assurance, then chances are everything will go fine. We’ll just have to wait and see at this point. But one thing to note is that with Team Bondi using a completely new form of motion-capturing and video, compression may be a big issue. Stay tuned on this one.

http://www.gofanboy.com/home/news-archi ... use-of-dvd

Yeah this is something I heard. The game is built for PS3 much like Final Fantasy XIII.

KK
Joined in 2008

PostRe: L.A. Noire: Coming September
by KK » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:26 pm

Well Team Bondi did say originally that was the main reason it was going to be a PS3 exclusive, because of the disc space.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:28 pm

Someone was saying they were asking for the game to be allowed installing on HDD as standard so that they can use the disc/HDD combo which would help greatly. But I don't think MS allow this anymore.

consolegaming
Joined in 2008

by consolegaming » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:35 pm

Please go back to being PS3 exclusive :wub:

samoza
Joined in 2008

by samoza » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Could they not just split the game over several discs? So far many of the games that have not fitted onto one 360 disc have been because there is so much FMV - something I care little for.

Had I known that MGS4 was about 6 hours of FMV and 4 hours gameplay I would never have bothered - same reason I cannot be bothered with FF13. ME2 is over 2 discs and it is minimal effort to swap the disc the one time when you are half way through the game.

I am a writer at Co-optimus - a site dedicated to co-op gaming
http://www.co-optimus.com/
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:38 pm

samoza wrote:Could they not just split the game over several discs? So far many of the games that have not fitted onto one 360 disc have been because there is so much FMV - something I care little for.

Had I known that MGS4 was about 6 hours of FMV and 4 hours gameplay I would never have bothered - same reason I cannot be bothered with FF13. ME2 is over 2 discs and it is minimal effort to swap the disc the one time when you are half way through the game.

It's a compression issue with animations dude. The game is meant to have the most sophisticated animations. Compressing them seems to be tricky.

satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:40 pm

samoza wrote:Could they not just split the game over several discs?

It's a sandbox game so disc-swapping wouldn't be a one-off thing halfway through the game, but more like something you have to do everytime you drive across a bridge to another island.

Tineash
Joined in 2008

by Tineash » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:40 pm

:? Animations don't swallow up disc space, it's audio & textures that are the issue, surely?

"exceptionally annoying" - TheTurnipKing
consolegaming
Joined in 2008

by consolegaming » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:41 pm

satriales wrote:
samoza wrote:Could they not just split the game over several discs?

It's a sandbox game so disc-swapping wouldn't be a one-off thing halfway through the game, but more like something you have to do everytime you drive across a bridge to another island.

They should do that just for the comedy of making 360 only gamers constantly swap disks! :lol:

Rik
Joined in 2008

by Rik » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

How many discs was GTAIV 360 on?

Neogaf: Riky
consolegaming
Joined in 2008

by consolegaming » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Rik wrote:How many discs was GTAIV 360 on?

MSDefenseForce is already out! :D

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

One.

Tineash
Joined in 2008

by Tineash » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:45 pm

This isn't MS defence force, it's possible to split a sandbox game across two discs depending on how it's structured. They're probably unhappy about maybe having to do it because Microsoft charge additional royalties on multi-disc games.

"exceptionally annoying" - TheTurnipKing
samoza
Joined in 2008

by samoza » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:23 pm

It does looks a great game and as predicted the DVD drive of the 360 is starting to struggle - but it has the console has been out for longer than many consoles manage. A lot of sandbox games I find are already split up into worlds. 'Infamous' was really three islands, as was 'Crackdown' and 'GTA 4'.

A developer should not have to limit their ambition for one console or the other, so perhaps they should make this game a PS3 exclusive once more?

I am a writer at Co-optimus - a site dedicated to co-op gaming
http://www.co-optimus.com/
satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Back then Rockstar were complaining about disc space too. It's why the TV shows in the 360 version were low-quality and you couldn't watch them in full screen, but you could in the PS3 version.

Rik
Joined in 2008

by Rik » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:27 pm

satriales wrote:

Back then Rockstar were complaining about disc space too. It's why the TV shows in the 360 version were low-quality and you couldn't watch them in full screen, but you could in the PS3 version.

But on the PS3 the whole game was low quality resolution wise and inferior framerate.

Keep the TV shows. ;)

Point being GTAIV fitted on a DVD, I don't see how this game will not as basically multi disc games on 360 have been those with loads of hugh quality FMV.

Neogaf: Riky
Memento Mori
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

by Memento Mori » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:48 pm

consolegaming wrote:Please go back to being PS3 exclusive :wub:

Why exactly?

SchminkyPinky
Joined in 2008

by SchminkyPinky » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm guessing the huge amount of audio is the problem as the cities themselves don't tend to take up that much data. Realtime Worlds said the first Crackdown's city was only 1Gb in size or something close to that.

cooldawn
Joined in 2008

by cooldawn » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Games get bigger...more space required. Who'd of thought.

:?:

"Race drivers don't really care how fast they're going..we keep going faster and faster until we approach that limit of control and that's when we balance ourselves..that's how we make good time."
JOHN FITCH
1950's Le Mans driver
satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:06 pm

Rik wrote:
satriales wrote:

But on the PS3 the whole game was low quality resolution wise and inferior framerate.

Keep the TV shows. ;)

Resolution and framerate has nothing to do with disc space. Having low quality TV shows in the 360 version was not a major sacrifice for GTA4 but that game is a couple of years old now and games get bigger. Early PS2 games were released on CD but later games would never have fit on a single CD. With the 360 games were filling the DVD right from the start and years later they still have to make do with less space than a PS2 game.

Rik wrote:Point being GTAIV fitted on a DVD, I don't see how this game will not as basically multi disc games on 360 have been those with loads of hugh quality FMV.

I'm sure they'll find some way of squeezing it onto a single DVD but I just hope they don't have to compromise the PS3 version in the process.

Return to “Games”