· Pitfall! (Activision)
· Megamania (Activision)
· Night Stalker (Mattel Electronics)
· Rack ‘Em Up (Konami)
· Realsports Volleyball (Atari)
· Basketball (Atari)

FAQ:
What is Game Room?

It's a giant virtual arcade that you fill with classic arcade and home console games and play them exactly like they were back in the day.

What makes Game Room different?

Leaderboards:
Leaderboards are available for each game and are shared between the Xbox 360 Game Room and the Games For Windows LIVE Game Room. This means that no matter what system you play Game Room on, your scores are displayed to everyone. Of course, leaderboards are only available when you are playing a ranked game, which does not allow for rewinding or changes to dip switches. No more scores being lost forever when the power is turned off.

Challenges:
These can be sent to people on your friends list to challenge them to beat a particular score, time or other metric that you have already accomplished. The things you can challenge each other on will be determined by the game. Taunts are attached to challenges, so you can celebrate your victory over your friend in style.

Rewind:
At any time during the game you can go back in time and continue from the moment before you made that last costly mistake. It's important to note that this feature is not available in a Ranked game, so you can't use it to cheat your way onto the Leaderboards.

Create your own Game Room:
The Game Room, a three story space with separate alcoves, is customizable in many ways. Of course, you can rearrange the games you have in your collection any way you want, so if you want an alcove devoted to vector graphics games, one for Konami games, another one devoted to shmups etc - go for it. Additionally you can collect decorative props to give each alcove a unique look. Mascots of various games will also be available (free if you purchase the game on release day) that will randomly move around the arcade, too. Your friends can visit your Game Room over LIVE and play your games. If you want to play a game they're playing, you can start up your own game - there is no queuing.

Range of games:
The aim is to get a thousand games into Game Room over the next three years, and that means there'll be titles you haven't heard of or played in ages. There'll be a lot of rediscovering old classics! Also: Giantbomb's pick of the bunch Jungler is included so hey, good times for all.

How much does it cost?

The Game Room application itself is free for all Xbox LIVE Gold and Silver members, and Games For Windows LIVE members.

It's 240 MS Points per game on a single platform. If you want to play the game on both the PC and Xbox 360 ("Buy Once, Play Anywhere"), it will cost 400 MS Points. Scores / medals / achievements etc obtained on one system are automatically transferred to your other system over LIVE, so you can accept a challenge on your Xbox 360 and continue trying on your PC if you like. If you've bought a title on one system and want to upgrade your purchase to play on both systems, it'll cost 160 MS Points.

Purchasing a game for your Game Room also gives you the right to play that game for free in anyone else's Game Room for as long as you like.

How about Demos?

You can play ANY game in Game Room for free - once. After that, you are given the option of dropping in some virtual quarters to continue playing (40 MS Points) or buy the game outright.

This also applies to your friends visiting your arcade, or you visiting theirs. They can try any game they don't own for free once, and any game they do own free as much as they want.

Will old arcade games I bought on XBLA appear in my Game Room?

No. The reasons for this are many, mostly to do with technical issues and rights management, but the short version is that it's like asking why the songs you purchased in Lips don't magically appear in your Rock Band setlist.

Game Room is a framework for Krome's emulation to run in, not a shell to launch other people's programs.

How is multiplayer handled?

Game Room supports same couch multiplayer for all games that had a multiplayer mode. Online multiplayer is handled via challenges only at this time.

How are Achievements handled?

Achievements are not tied to particular games. Instead, it has Medals that you earn by beating certain scores in a particular game, completing a certain number of games, winning challenges etc. These meta tasks earn you Achievements, and there are 60 Achievements in Game Room for a total of 1,000 Gamerpoints.

Last edited by Garth on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
rinks
Joined in 2008

PostRe: CES - Xbox 360 "Game Room"
by rinks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Whatever it is, I don't like the sound of it.

Loves us all since 2008
The Alchemist Penguin
Joined in 2008

by The Alchemist Penguin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:41 pm

It almost sounds like some sort of mentor system ("This is Pong, you will like it."), although giving people their own rooms to customise just like their avatars seems very likely, and will allow them to sell tons more stuff too.

Crimson
Joined in 2008

by Crimson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:45 pm

HailToTheKingBaby!
Joined in 2008

by HailToTheKingBaby! » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 pm

My guess is it'll be a virtual arcade that your mii walks around (with friends mii's should they wish) filled with old retro arcade games which you have to pay a small number of xbox points on for credits. The games will change now and then and will also feature adverts for new games (ie: you like space invaders? try geometry wars or halo..) which would be where he was on about "bridging the gap".

EDIT: Crimson Clows post looks to explain it, pretty much what i thought.. honestly didn't read that before posting though I may have read it in the past and it was in my head somewhere subconciously or something.. :shifty:

Oxx
Joined in 2008

by Oxx » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:50 pm

The Crimson Clown wrote:Must be this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13298

'RetroCade'!? :|

Good thieving Suzz...

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:50 pm

If Game Room is the new name of the Home style space then it's better than Village that was used before :lol:

The People's ElboReformat
Joined in 2008
AKA: Goat, Zenigame

by The People's ElboReformat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 pm

i hope its like the habbo hotels

The Eeveelution club! \o/
Seven
Joined in 2008

by Seven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:57 pm

Meh if true, at least it'll be way expressive than emotionless HOME avatars... :shifty:

Bluesky: SevenFisher.bsky.social || Steam ID: SevenFisher
T9Flake
Joined in 2008

by T9Flake » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:57 pm

suzzopher wrote:If Game Room is the new name of the Home style space then it's better than Village that was used before :lol:

If they did they'd have to have navy and ymca themed rooms

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Seven wrote:Meh if true, at least it'll be way expressive than emotionless HOME avatars... :shifty:

The Home avatars need to be killed with fire :lol:

Home is actually ok now. I have been playing that game Sodium. It's free to begin with but if you want to progress it's £3.99. Which isn't too bad considering the game is actually good fun. Also there are a fair few more games the size of Sodium coming to Home and Free Realms is rumoured to be an area in Home rather than a stand alone release.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:36 pm

More from the leaked video:
"In terms of Natal, there's a lot of creativity we're going to unleash," Bach said as part of anew, leaked Microsoft-produced video outlining the company's 2010 plans. "We're going to start it in the context of Xbox, but even in the context of Xbox it's not just going to be about games. It will be a much broader context for people. People will think about that as entertainment, not just about games. "

http://kotaku.com/5441992/microsoft-exec-project-natal-to-be-about-entertainment-not-just-games

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:54 am

• The new Game Room on Xbox LIVE, which will be the place to relive the glory days of arcade games, with over 1000 games being released throughout the next three years.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feat ... ynote.mspx

Coming this Spring.

Edit - it's for GFWL too:

Looks pretty good :)

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:36 am

Game Room

Fact Sheet
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Developer: Krome Studio Pty Ltd.
Genre: Arcade and console classics
Platform: Xbox LIVE on Xbox 360 and Games for Windows — LIVE on Windows-based PCs
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and older)
Price: 240 to 400 Microsoft Points for game downloads; 40 Microsoft Points for single gameplay
Release Date: Spring 2010

Remember pumping quarters into your favorite video games at the classic arcade or passing the joystick between friends on the couch after school? Nothing could beat the sights and sounds of the arcade, with all the colorfully decorated cabinets, or the endless hours of console competition with friends, trumping the top score and mastering the machine.

This spring, “Game Room” on Xbox LIVE lets you relive the glory days of classic arcade games in their original forms. Your avatar will take part in the original sights, sounds and gameplay that will make these retro games come alive on your Xbox 360 and Windows-based PC in one fast, fun experience.

Game Features
* Relive the glory days of the classic arcade. “Game Room” replicates the old-school look, sound and feel of a retro video game arcade. At launch, “Game Room” will bring you a library of 30 original arcade and console classics such as “Centipede®” and “Asteroids Deluxe®” from Atari Inc. and other favorites from Activision Inc., Intellivision, Konami Corp. and more, all shown in their original cabinets. Create a brand-new social environment* your avatar can explore, trick out your “game room” by arranging your cabinets, and decorate each room with themes and animated icons from your favorite games. With weekly new title releases, your arcade will soon be retrofitted to perfection.
* Prove you’re the arcade master. Think you have what it takes? Challenge friends to beat your high score by sending custom challenges and taunts across platforms, earn Achievements, unlock levels and climb your way to the top of universal leader boards. Compete in ranked mode, in which you play against other Xbox LIVE members on the world leader board, or challenge mode, in which you take turns playing a game.* “Game Room” also offers local Couch Play mode for up to two players — how will you duke it out for arcade supremacy? Enjoy a seamless experience across Xbox 360 and Windows-based PCs as you share games, track your progress and jump back into the game, no matter which of the two platforms you’re on. You can even invite friends into your custom arcade to check out your collection or visit their “game room” to demo games and scope out additions to your collection.
* Buy “Game Room” titles once and play on both your Xbox 360 and Windows-based PC. Enjoy the freedom of buying games for “Game Room” once and playing on both Xbox 360 and a Windows-based PC for about the same price as a DVD rental. Those who prefer to play on a single platform can purchase individual games for either Xbox 360 or a Windows-based PC at a lower price point, or even pay to play a single game just like in the old arcades. See how long you can last on a single token!

Retro games are shown in their original cabinets, which you can place anywhere in your personal arcade. Invite your friends in to check out your collection.

How Do I Play?
An Xbox 360 console or Windows-based PC and an Internet connection are all you need* to access “Game Room.” “Game Room” and associated games can be found on your Xbox 360 in the Xbox LIVE Games Marketplace or in the Games for Windows — LIVE client on your Windows-based PC.

How Much Does It Cost?
It is free to download “Game Room,” which you can then populate with classic arcade games available for individual purchase. Buy games once and play on both an Xbox 360 system and a Windows-based PC for 400 Microsoft Points. Or, to purchase a game for only one platform, each individual Xbox 360 or Windows-based PC title is 240 Microsoft Points. You also have the option to pay to play a single game, just like dropping two quarters in the slot in the old arcades, for 40 Microsoft Points. Visit your friends’ “game rooms” and try their games free before you buy.

“Game Room” Specifications
* One or two players
* HDTV 1080p
* In-game Dolby Digital
* Voice chat
* Online multiplayer (one or two players)*
* Cross-platform leader boards
* Cross-platform Achievements

* Xbox LIVE Gold Membership required for online multiplayer on Xbox 360. Xbox LIVE requires broadband access.

UK prices (straight conversion):
34p for 1 play
£2.04 to buy game for 1 platform
£3.40 to buy game for both platforms
Or play friends' games for free

New releases every week.

chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

by chalkitdown » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:04 am

Dogshit.

What's this new facination with having to wander around a soulless virtual world before you can play a game? Just let me choose them from a list and get straight into them. Not that I'm gonna be downloading this, anyway. There isn't a single retro arcade game that I'd pay that much money for. And no demos? strawberry float that.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:07 am

If you buy it over two platforms it costs more :? Surely they should be encouraging this Live anywhere thing? Anyway looks and sounds like my worst nightmare.....Avatars everwhere :shock:

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:30 am

Depends what games there are in it, if theres something good that isn't on XBLA on its own then I'll use it...if not then I probably won't.

Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:02 am

I just want them to make Microsoft Surface available as I've been waiting ages for that.

Vermilion wrote:I'd rather live in Luton.
Something Fishy

by Something Fishy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:05 am

Seems good to me, more features and a big additional range of games can do no harm at all.

bear
Joined in 2008

by bear » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:24 am

Its a neat idea and friends being able to play your purchased games for free is pretty cool. Not sure about the pricing for the single plays on a machine though as I reckon 20pts would be plenty. Does this mean GFWL will be getting Avatar support as well?

Return to “Games”