Silent Hill Homecoming

Anything to do with games at all.
Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Silent Hill Homecoming. First Review!
by Eighthours » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:08 pm

But it gets Herb's vote for GRWC. :D

Gandalf
Joined in 2008

by Gandalf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:11 pm

Hero of Canton wrote:Actually, I've been thinking about the whole Pyramid Head thing...

Considering he's meant to be a manifestation of someone's guilt, it doesn't make sense for him to have the same name in this one. Perhaps there's a reason why guilt is realised in that form. Maybe we'll find out that reason in the game?

Actually, that does make sense.

Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:11 pm

Eighthours wrote:But it gets Herb's vote for GRWC. :D

:lol: :lol: You should've posted that in the 'poorly' thread.

DML wrote:F'NARR!
mitch
Joined in 2008

by mitch » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:35 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:Actually, I've been thinking about the whole Pyramid Head thing...

Considering he's meant to be a manifestation of someone's guilt, it doesn't make sense for him to have the same name in this one. Perhaps there's a reason why guilt is realised in that form. Maybe we'll find out that reason in the game?

Actually, that does make sense.

Guilt doesn't really manifest in that form - guilt brings you to Silent Hill to face your judgement, after being summoned by the demon - and Pyramid Head is the old town executioner making you face what you have done.

Our main guy here has probably done something naughty in the past as a soldier - or since they are copying the film so much the pointy one is just in it for some thrills.

Hulohot
Joined in 2008
AKA: dan_e1990

by Hulohot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:12 pm

i doubt pyramid heads role is going to be that obvious.

Hulohot
Joined in 2008

by Hulohot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:10 pm

http://gamecinemahd.com/article/2008/09 ... ing_review

Thankfully, the development team at Double Helix has done an excellent job of providing a seamless transition into the current generation, while at the same time keeping most of the series’ precious trademarks intact. While it doesn’t quite surpass the high standards set by the first three installments, Homecoming is one of the scariest and most memorable titles of the last few years, and a respectable addition to the Silent Hill family.

8.5/10

Neo Cortex
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jamiej

by Neo Cortex » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Well Pyramid Head, as SH2 showed at least at some point did represent the towns cultist executioner, his look at least isnt made up by the persons guilt...and he certainly was never named in the game. Didnt it become more of an internet phenomenon than anything? I dont know why he represents guilt..I would have thought it was down to the person? Maybe SH2's PH WAS really there, and not just a manifestation as so many people assume...

That theory would at least help for the movie, and Homecoming..that he is simply part of the town and its bloody history. Monsters on the other hand are another matter, SH3 clearly stated at one point that at least some of Heathers enemies were figments of her imagination..and quite disturbingly could have been real people.

chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

by chalkitdown » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:06 pm

Went ahead and bought this today without knowing whether it's any good or not, and not having played a SH game since the first one(which scared the gooseberry fool outta me). I've no will power. Still, for €35 how could I resist. God bless the weak dollar.

Sarge

by Sarge » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:25 pm

1up Review - B

clicky

While Homecoming's look and feel are in line with Silent Hill, the narrative's much clearer. It still deals with familiar series themes (love, forgiveness, sin, redemption), but it's also the most straightforward story to date. By the time I reached one of the game's multiple endings, I had a clear understanding of exactly what happened, and why -- leaving little for me to think about afterward -- whereas previous games were incredibly nuanced and downright confusing, no matter which ending you received.

Homecoming developer Double Helix has stayed true to the series' foundation while also taking steps in a brave new direction; they've crafted a tale that stands well within franchise lore, and they've produced horrifically beautiful environments, occasional framerate drops aside. If Double Helix learns from their mistakes here -- combat balance being the most glaring issue -- their future work could rival the series' best. Homecoming definitely fits well within the franchise, but it also left me eager to see what's next, as this is clearly only the first step in Silent Hill's next evolution.

Hulohot
Joined in 2008

by Hulohot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Nice review. I'm getting even more excited by the minute.

Hulohot
Joined in 2008

by Hulohot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:59 pm

**** loads of new songs! This is the whole version of the song heard in the trailers! Immense. :shock: It is called "One more soul to the call."

Elle Theme.

Alex Theme.

Not sure about that one.

The Sacred Line

Last edited by Hulohot on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dante
Joined in 2008
AKA: DanteCWA

by Dante » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:05 pm

Anung Un Rama wrote:Amazing, seriously...and McGlynn has such an awesome voice!

Mary rocks :P

Come join the GRcade World of Warcraft guild on the EU "The Maelstrom" server
Tanks wanted!
GRcadians!
Hulohot
Joined in 2008

by Hulohot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:11 pm

Odd, I love the chorus to it but it sort of went downhill a bit during the middle, then shot back up at the end. Then again I have only listened to it once.

Dante
Joined in 2008

by Dante » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:11 pm

Anung Un Rama wrote:
Dante wrote:

She is hot as strawberry float aswell.

I can't stop thinking of Motoko when I see pictures of her :oops:

Tanks wanted!
GRcadians!
Dante
Joined in 2008

by Dante » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:26 pm

Anung Un Rama wrote:
Dante wrote:
Anung Un Rama wrote:
Dante wrote:

She is hot as strawberry float aswell.

I can't stop thinking of Motoko when I see pictures of her :oops:

Hell yeah!

Sahme there isnt more pics of her, but apprently she has stalker problems.

"Hot women who does video game and anime voice overs, stalked by video game fans"

Doens't come as much of a surpise to be honest.

Tanks wanted!
GRcadians!
Hulohot
Joined in 2008

by Hulohot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:33 pm

There are also new diary entries. :D

Alex Shepherd

September 2
My days now are filled with exercise, mental and physical…exercises to make me stronger. Vitamin shots in the morning, breakfast, physical therapy, lunch, more physical therapy, dinner, psych evaluations, vaccinations, weigh-ins, muscle measurements, bone density tests and on and on and on. I'm starting to feel like a science experiment. But I am getting stronger. I can hold myself up on my own two feet. At night, I do push-ups on the floor and then climb back into bed. I refuse to waste away in this place.

September 8
Sgt. Nash left today. I went down to his room on my crutches to say goodbye. He's heading home for a couple weeks and then they're shipping him back over. He was hoping he could spend more time with his wife and daughter, but they say they need him. It really kind of freaked me out. Is that what they're gonna do when I'm better? Ship me back? I don't think I can go back there. I don't think I can watch people I know dying in front of me again.
Nash said something weird before he left. I don't know if he felt betrayed for being sent back into the field so quickly or whether it was a reference to the ambush that put us here in the first place, but he looked at me and he said "Don't trust anyone."

September 12
I walked down the hall and back today. All by myself. No crutches, no handrails, nothing. I wish Nash could have seen it. I felt a real sense of accomplishment. But also a sense of dread. What's next? I'll be better soon, and then what will they do with me?

Elle Holloway
September 22

I think my mom might be in denial. It's pretty obvious that people aren't just leaving town. They're missing. Like, "no one knows what happened to them" missing.
Remember when I told you about Jeanine looking for her husband? Today, I saw her again and she had a stack of flyers with her husband's picture on it. Before, I just thought he left her (for another woman or something, she can be pretty annoying), but she really doesn't know where he is! She hasn't heard from him or seen him. It's not like he drove out of town. His car is still here. I felt really bad for her, so I grabbed a stack of flyers and put them up for her. Maybe we need to start making more flyers.

September 27

My mom saw me putting up more flyers today. She was heading to her office but grabbed a bunch and told me she would put some up near work. Some other people I don't really know stopped by and brought their own flyers. This guy Clint who used to work at the library came by and printed up a bunch more for some other people. I realized that this was getting out of hand, so we went down the sheriff's station. The deputy was there by himself. For someone who is supposed to be protecting the town, this deputy acted like he just wanted us to leave. We showed him all the flyers and he said he would "get on it". Sure.

The fog rolling in from the lake this morning made the place really gloomy, so Clint walked me to the library. I'm really going to make the effort to post this blog as much as I can, in case something bad happens.

September 29

Clint hung out with me today while we printed up more flyers. We dropped by our favorite deputy, who seems really annoyed by how many times we've come by his office this past week. What the hell does he think we should be doing? What the hell is HE doing about this? I would dial 911 if it wasn't him at the other end of the phone. Maybe I should call the Army. But what the hell would I tell them?
I could really use Alex right now. Sometimes I have the tendency to freak out really easily and Alex is one of the calmest people I know. I think I'm trying to block out the idea that he might be missing as well because I just can't deal with the idea of anyone else in my life disappearing.

Deputy Wheeler

September 23

I might have spoken too soon. I don't think anyone's really safe around here any more. The population in this town has been dwindling for years, but I'm starting to notice that people are just GONE. The mission person reports are stacking up, and I'm the only one working here. What the hell am I supposed to do by myself?

I mentioned that the tourists had stopped coming long ago, that there were no new faces in town. Well, that may be true, but I get the feeling SOMEBODY is here. You can never quite see them – they disappear before you get a good look. But there are people roaming around this town who aren't supposed to be here. I put a new set of locks on the front door to the station. That's just for starters.

September 24

I learned a little bit more about those ChemTrails. Apparently, one theory is that what they're spraying into the air is iron oxide – little particles of metal that can get into your body and poison you. The question is, why is the government doing this?
Well, the big idea is that the federal government is actually behind global warming, that releasing these metal particles into the air reflects sunlight, heating up the atmosphere.
Now, I can believe an awful lot, but I think the verdict is pretty much in on what's causing global warming. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that pumping all that CO2 into the air is eventually gonna turn this planet into an arboretum. Hey, at least we'll be able to grow orchids.

September 25

Today I decided to reach out to some of the local leaders here in town. They've pretty much ignored me since my boss left, but I figure I need SOMEONE to listen to me if we're gonna save this town from falling apart.

I stopped by the judge's office but it was empty. It looked like nobody had been there for a while. I tried the local doctor's office too. I swear I could hear someone inside, but no one answered when I knocked. So I headed up to the mayor's mansion, and there I found the strangest thing:

Mayor Bartlett's vines had all been cut down. The mayor grows grapes for a little winery that his family has owned for ages. Somebody had gone through the entire field and hacked apart every single grapevine there. But wait, here's the kicker. On the edge of the field, someone had written a message in the dirt. It said: "Stop looking at me."

HailToTheKingBaby!
Joined in 2008

by HailToTheKingBaby! » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:25 pm

According to videogamesplus.ca the US 360 version is NOT region free so importing is PS3 only.

Anyone know if it has trophies on PS3 (apologies if answered earlier in the thread)? If so, I might import rather than wait another month or so for the 360 one.

Dante
Joined in 2008

by Dante » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:30 pm

HailToTheKingBaby! wrote:According to videogamesplus.ca the US 360 version is NOT region free so importing is PS3 only.

Anyone know if it has trophies on PS3 (apologies if answered earlier in the thread)? If so, I might import rather than wait another month or so for the 360 one.

No mention of trophies at all, so I doubt it. I plan on getting the 360 after xmas on the cheap for points anyway. It's deffiantly a game I'll play multi times anyway

Tanks wanted!
GRcadians!
Tragic Magic
Joined in 2008

by Tragic Magic » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:45 pm

This will be great. :mrgreen:

Hulohot
Joined in 2008

by Hulohot » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:37 am

I hope there are trophies, not heard anything on them though. And yes Tragic, this will be great! I had faith all along. :D

Return to “Games”