Anyone else gravitating to 'Exclusives'?

Anything to do with games at all.
cooldawn
Joined in 2008

PostAnyone else gravitating to 'Exclusives'?
by cooldawn » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:51 pm

I've notice that over the last couple of years multi-format titles have mattered less to me. Looking at my collection of games the majority are made up of exclusive titles. These days I'm just a whole lot more picky and I do feel that generally exclusive games provide better quality gaming.

This year all of my purchases have been exclusive titles, albeit only three of them, but in my opinion that reflects the state of multi-format gaming. Looking at the rest of this year you could probably tag any multi-format title with an exclusive that's better.

Subconsciously is anyone else gravitating to exclusives?

Last edited by cooldawn on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Race drivers don't really care how fast they're going..we keep going faster and faster until we approach that limit of control and that's when we balance ourselves..that's how we make good time."
JOHN FITCH
1950's Le Mans driver
Cropolite
Joined in 2008
AKA: concon777

PostRe: Anyone else gravitating to 'Exclusive' only?
by Cropolite » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:56 pm

Exclusive titles are pushed more so that's the only temptation I'd have, but having said that out of 27 PS3 titles, about 9 of them are exclusive.

There's also a better chance of getting online games going (i.e. Motorstorm & Killzone) on here as GRcade isn't split out between two platforms.

Tragic Magic
Joined in 2008

by Tragic Magic » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:00 pm

All my Wii and PS3 games are exclusives. I get all multiplatform games on 360 for Live and achievements.

Raide
Joined in 2008

by Raide » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:08 pm

I tend to only buy games if I find them fun, regardless of exclusivity. I see exclusive games more of a marketing thing currently, so that does not sway me at all.

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Tragic Magic wrote:All my Wii and PS3 games are exclusives. I get all multiplatform games on 360 for Live and achievements.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Of the 12 PS3 games I own, 10 are exclusive. Of the 25 on 360, only 4 are exclusive.

So if you were to combine then, multiformat would win out. A lot of games that I used to like that were once exclusive no longer are.

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:17 pm

If a game is good, I'll buy it. It doesn't matter how many consoles it is out on.

veem

by veem » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Mafro wrote:
Tragic Magic wrote:All my Wii and PS3 games are exclusives. I get all multiplatform games on 360 for Live and achievements.

You are a drone, a tool of the system.

Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008
AKA: Memento Mori

by Captain Kinopio » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:27 pm

Looking across all my Wii and PS3 games and the only non-exclusives are Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Reswii 4 and Okamwii.

I don't really care for multi-format stuff it seems.

Time for adventure
Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:31 pm

I have more exclusive games for my 360 than multi platform, I guess because as someone said earlier, those games are pushed more and tend to be big budget.

Uppa
Joined in 2008

by Uppa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:48 pm

Historically, I've really only purchased exclusives--and I admit that this is a trend that hasn't really faded. Given the hardware I've used over the years, mind, I didn't always have much of a choice in the matter--but there's little multi-format software that really jumps out at me.

It's probably my history with Nintendo that's hammered in this habit--particularly the N64. It's not a habit I dislike, though.

Dante
Joined in 2008
AKA: DanteCWA

by Dante » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:51 pm

cooldawn wrote:Subconsciously is anyone else gravitating to exclusives?

No

Come join the GRcade World of Warcraft guild on the EU "The Maelstrom" server
Tanks wanted!
GRcadians!
Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Exclusives do tend to be good games though, I think the fact that a hardware manufacturer has deemed it worthy of being exclusive to their platform implies that it is a decent game anyway.

There's exceptions, of course. *Glares at Haze*

I tend to buy multi-format games on 360 too there are several reasons for this:

• I have two 360s so it means I can play it upstairs or in the living room
  • LIVE > PSN
  • Most of my friends are 360 gamers so it makes it easier if we want to play together or swap games and stuff
  • 360 pad > DS3
  • Not installing > installing
  • Superior graphics > inferior graphics

I'm sure I could go on.

Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008
AKA: Memento Mori

by Captain Kinopio » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:17 pm

I haven't installed a game on the PS3 since MGS4

Time for adventure
cooldawn
Joined in 2008

by cooldawn » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:45 pm

KKLEIN wrote:Of the 12 PS3 games I own, 10 are exclusive. Of the 25 on 360, only 4 are exclusive.

So if you were to combine then, multiformat would win out. A lot of games that I used to like that were once exclusive no longer are.

I don't think people understand my OP.

I understand and would rightly assume that the majority of people will have more multi-format titles as a legacy from the start of this generation...also because most people would have owned a single platform for some time and there was less choice..., but are you seeing yourselves adopting exclusive content at a higher rate in the last year, this year and, going forward, in 2010?

I'm not saying that all your gaming purchases will be 'Exclusive' only but a healthy majority could be...hence 'gravitating' towards a more exclusive collection.

It may not be a totally accurate or obvious observation but, in my opinion, core components of exclusive titles seem to have more thought and better execution. This may be a result of the wealth of resources exclusive developers have access to and direct guidance from platform holders, or because exclusive developers push new idea's to the market to ensure that it stands out from the crowd. It could be a combination of both to ensure an exclusive becomes a benchmark title.

Publishing on a single platform is always a risky strategy but courting the right developer with the right idea's and with profound execution is always going to provide an amazing gaming experience over and above the best multi-format titles. Lets not forget that multi-format titles spread across x amount of platforms have a higher potential to sell and I just think that's less inspiring to developers who would prefer to play it safe. I'm not saying that multi-platform developers don't try or never provide great gaming experiences because they can and do...just that exclusives seem to be on another level.

This isn't about preferring one platform over another.

Shadow wrote:I tend to buy multi-format games on 360 too there are several reasons for this:

* I have two 360s so it means I can play it upstairs or in the living room
* LIVE > PSN
* Most of my friends are 360 gamers so it makes it easier if we want to play together or swap games and stuff
* 360 pad > DS3
* Not installing > installing
* Superior graphics > inferior graphics

I'm sure I could go on.

Please don't because this completely missed the point - :fp: - however...

MCN wrote:If a game is good, I'll buy it. It doesn't matter how many consoles it is out on.

...it does kinda relate to this. As MCN rightly says a good game should be enjoyed by everyone, regardless if it's exclusive or not, but that's the point. In this generation, as time goes by, I do actually think exclusive titles, bar a couple, are overwhelmingly better than multi-platform games which is why I haven't bought any this year. Looking in to next year it seems that exclusives are the only content to peak my interest in any way. To me it reflects the state of multi-format development.

Raide wrote:I tend to only buy games if I find them fun, regardless of exclusivity. I see exclusive games more of a marketing thing currently, so that does not sway me at all.

So, overall, you don't feel that exclusive titles bring anything new to gaming?

Shadow wrote:Exclusives do tend to be good games though, I think the fact that a hardware manufacturer has deemed it worthy of being exclusive to their platform implies that it is a decent game anyway.

There's exceptions, of course. *Glares at Haze*

Yeah, there are exceptions but overall exclusive content is better than multi-platform, isn't it?

EDIT: I would just like to point out that my GotY in 2008 is Dead Space. Yes, I know, it's a multi-platform game but, in the whole scheme of things, the developers had complete freedom because EA had faith in their idea's and let them get on with it. This is when multi-platform development works but it's seldom the case.

Last edited by cooldawn on Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Race drivers don't really care how fast they're going..we keep going faster and faster until we approach that limit of control and that's when we balance ourselves..that's how we make good time."
JOHN FITCH
1950's Le Mans driver
faridmon
Joined in 2009

by faridmon » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:54 pm

as a portable gamer only this gen, 99% of my collection are exclusive titles.

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:13 pm

If anything it seems to be the opposite, the majority of titles I've bought or am really looking forward to for the rest of the year are multiplatform ones...talking 360/PS3 anyway, Wii is in a different class.

Street Fighter IV, RE5, Riddick, Red Faction, FNR4.

Batman, The Beatles: Rock Band, Brutal Legend, NfS: Shift, Op Flashpoint 2, Assassins Creed 2, Fifa/PES, Borderlands, Blur, MW2.

Exclusive titles are relatively thin on the ground in comparison, even more so if you don't count the console exclusives (which also go to PC), as exclusive titles.

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:22 pm

Most of the games I buy are still multi-format. I guess there haven't been that many exclusives that wowed me of late. I bought Prototype instead of Infamous, because it looked more fun, but really the question of exclusivity doesn't really occur to me when I'm thinking about purchases, except for when it means I can't buy a game that's 360 exclusive, but even now I'm struggling to think of a 360 exclusive that I'm that bothered about being unable to play. I suppose on the Wii, I have bought quite a few exclusives, but that's more because it's my last choice for any multi-format release. I think the last exclusive game I bought (excluding handheld releases) was Killzone 2. It was alright, but got sold after a month.

That being said, I'm always pleased when I see a good looking exclusive announced for the PS3, because I really do think it's a great console, but it needs more reasons for people with other gaming platforms to want to get one.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:27 pm

inFamous is great by the way.

inFamous and Race Pro are the best exclusives of the year so far, whats left is Uncharted 2, Forza 3, Halo ODST and (if you count them) Splinter Cell and L4D2.

Hardly an amazing year of exclusive content. Obviously thats 360/PS3 only.

cooldawn
Joined in 2008

by cooldawn » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:33 pm

HSH28 wrote:inFamous is great by the way.

inFamous and Race Pro are the best exclusives of the year so far, whats left is Uncharted 2, Forza 3, Halo ODST and (if you count them) Splinter Cell and L4D2.

Hardly an amazing year of exclusive content. Obviously thats 360/PS3 only.

I'm glad you posted this. You are right in saying that there's a meager quantity of exclusives but, as always, more doesn't equal better. From the list of multi-platform titles you posted a little earlier which ones do you feel are/will be better than the exclusives you own/will buy?

JOHN FITCH
1950's Le Mans driver

Return to “Games”